Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Young professional needing med advice

My dear friends,

I am a lawyer and I work in an office with over 200 people. I constantly am forced to confer with colleagues and clients from 8 am through to 6 pm daily. This is horrible and excruciating for me considering I have a social phobia plus a serious generalized anxiety disorder.

Does anyone know of medications that will effectively kick the shit out of the social phobia and chronic anxiety and its symptoms i.e. sweating, hands shaking, stuttering when talking to people because of anxiety, horrific fear of people speaking to me so that I have to respond in an anxious stuttering mess. IMPORTANTLY, I need meds that give relief for the period of the working day, or 24/7 if possible.

Any suggestions from persons in similar situations?

I currently take Lexapro 30mg, Valium 20mg occassionaly and have just started on 2 x 75mg Lyrica.

Kind Regards.

Propanolol xx

cheers, ill ask my shrink about it

Quote Originally Posted by emtw12 View Post
    Propanolol xx
    Hey thanks for the message,

Could you describe what your symptoms were and how propanolol helped? It would be much appreciated

Yes Inderal(propranolol) 20-40 mg is a great start. I use it for this reason(Social Anxiety). If you have a normal, healthy heart and no asthma you should be able to get a doc to rx it. Just use it as he tells you. Stay on the lexapro as the lyrica might help as well.
    If you keep at it you should get desensitized in time to all the interaction to a degree.
    Propranolol will help with racing heart, tremor, shaking and tics/jerks. It works against adrenaline.
    PM me anytime. Alankay
    Last edited by alankay; 08-14-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Can totally relate, this stuff to me is better than xanax without the sides but you need to find the "sweet" spot as far as dosage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111137437269...84.m1555.l2649

Thanks guys,
    What does rx mean?
    I'm definitely going to speak with my doc about Inderal tomorrow.
    Will he let me take it with lexapro and lyrica?
    How many times a day can you pop Inderal and how long does each hit last?
    Many thanks peeps.

Bro about the eBay link, what is this stuff? You ain't just pushing this stuff because you have a vested interest are you? Does it really have positive effects and is it safe.

rx = prescription. Sorry.
    Inderal has a half life of about 5 hours.
    Folks who use it for high BP take it like twice a day or even three as the doc advises but for SA in the healthy usually once before work and another half dose at lunch ONLY if needed(one AM dose it for me for the day).
    If the issue is a racing heart only Atenolol(50 mg) might be better but for a racing heart with tremor/shaking(or just tremor) use a non selective beta blocker like inderal.
    Keeping the dose under 40 mg or so will lessen the chnaces of side efefcts but the dose you'll need will vary so you'll need to do trials for your response.
    As with all meds only take the dose you really need only for as long as really needed. It's just the best policy for all meds including OTC meds.
    There is a longer acting version of inderal so ask about that if the regular inderal doesn't last quiet long enough. Your doc is really the best to help you with fine tuning how to take it.
    Alankay
    Last edited by alankay; 08-15-2013 at 07:18 AM.