Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anxiety & alcohol ?

Hi friends , I have a question for you all ..

Do you drink & if so does it affect your anxiety /depression !? Also do you drink on your medication ?

I'm going to have to give up all together , as in t.total for life .
    It really affects me in a bad way . I just wondered if its "just me" or if any of you have trouble when it comes to having a few drinks ??

I think it must be my medication . I feel so anxious today because I drank with my husband last night ,
    Big mistake :-(

Yup - and it doesn't help anxiety sufferers; well, maybe temporarily, but it's short lived and a slippery slope to self medicate.

I honestly think drinking was the "straw that broke the camels back" in my case. After a very stressful (on/off) couple years, a job I actually loved doing shut down; laying off everyone, around January 1st, 2013. With New Years, my B-day, my GF's 30th all within 6 weeks of one another, I began binge drinking hardcore! I'm not talking a few beers everyday, I could chug vodka and all - I was depressed and was living in the moment, and alcohol can give you "fun moments", but that's all they are - moments.

Anxiety and panic peaked in Feb and I ended up going to the doctors. Physical testing, several vials of blood and an EKG revealed nothing. I was given Ativan and a beta blocker to slow my heart rate...

I stopped drinking, but then noticed after a few months, the benzo being my crutch....no good, highly addictive, but I was taking very small amounts, ~ .5mgs every 24 hours.

I haven't taken Ativan in about 2 weeks now, but have upped the drinking again : \

Hang overs ALWAYS set my anxiety off.. It's absolutely a terrible catalyst for my anxiety!!

I do like to have a few cocktails on the weekends while I'm out .. An I'm on Zoloft 150mgs.. But if I over do it I will pay the next day with anxiety.. Grrrr

Yes, I drink moderately normally. The past month I havent been working and i've drinking with friends in the evening out of boredom. I noticed my anxiety go up a lot. Haven't drank in a few days and feel better.

I feel good when I am drunk and if I didn't have my son I would prob be an alcoholic because it takes away the anxiety but the next day after I do drink it's awful I remember a beginning of the year I went out drank way to much had an amazing night next day I was awful I nearly went to A and E because I thought I was about to have an heart attack. Ever since then don't drink unless an occasion then it will only he a small amount.

Alcohol pretty much poisons your body. The hangovers really sap key vitamins from your body and you wind up feeling like a big ball of shyte for want of a better description. Give it time and it'll go. My last hangover from last Friday lasted until midday today.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by raggamuffin View Post
    Alcohol pretty much poisons your body. The hangovers really sap key vitamins from your body and you wind up feeling like a big ball of shyte for want of a better description. Give it time and it'll go. My last hangover from last Friday lasted until midday today.

Ed
    Lol!! All so true.. And I know I'm REALLY in for some anxiety riddled misery if I have a hang over that lingers a few days..grrr

Summers are difficult w all these fab BBQs n ice cold beers

Quote Originally Posted by sharacel91 View Post
    I feel good when I am drunk and if I didn't have my son I would prob be an alcoholic because it takes away the anxiety but the next day after I do drink it's awful I remember a beginning of the year I went out drank way to much had an amazing night next day I was awful I nearly went to A and E because I thought I was about to have an heart attack. Ever since then don't drink unless an occasion then it will only he a small amount.
    I agree I don't have anxiety WHILE I have been drinking.. It's the next day! But I am sure some anxiety sufferers experience anxiety while drinking too.. I've come to learn that nothing is off limits w anxiety smh lol

Quote Originally Posted by legowelt View Post
    Yes, I drink moderately normally. The past month I havent been working and i've drinking with friends in the evening out of boredom. I noticed my anxiety go up a lot. Haven't drank in a few days and feel better.
    I agree w this too..

Alcohol is funny in that sense - one night your elated and having a great, anxiety free time; then the next day it drags you through the pits of anxiety hell! That's why its so dangerous and a vicious cycle to self medicate with booze, and so many with anxiety self medicate with alcohol - myself included.

It's kind of ironic how they treat alcoholics going through withdrawal with benzos - talk about trading in one dependence for potentially another!