Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy For those with hypochondria and anxiety in general

Hi All,

New to this forum - not new to anxiety. in 2006, shortly after getting married, I began experiencing hypochondria for the first time. Previously, I had dealt with panic attacks. The scariest thing about hypochondria was that at first, I didn't realize it was a form of my existing anxiety. I simply thought I was dying. First it was colon cancer. I was completely convinced I had it. I googled the symptoms and found that I had 10 of "10 signs that you have colon cancer." I went to my doctor and he said this was simply irritable bowel syndrome. I didn't believe him and kept going to doctors until one finally gave me a colonoscopy. It was only then that I was 90% sure I didn't have cancer. After that scare I soon convinced myself that I had multiple sclerosis. After I few months of pure terror and constantly googling my symptoms, this evolved into me being convinced that I had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I was sure that I had only months to live and I began writing a list of things to do before I became incapacitated. It was only after several negative EMS tests that a neurologist could mostly convince me that I was completely healthy.

A very interesting thing happened during this time. As I began to research my symptoms and read more about these diagnoses, I became more fascinated with health care and the human body. About one year later, I quit my job in advertising and began work on prerequisite classes for nursing school. That was in 2007. Recently I graduated with my Master of Nursing degree and became a nurse practitioner. I have been hired at a fantastic job with a cardiology group. My hypochondria is basically non-existant because I can reason through my perceive symptoms. I know what sick people look like and I am not one of them.

The point I want to make to you is that yes, this is horrible, probably the most horrible thing you've ever experienced. But, you can and will find positivity from this very difficult time in your life. That doesn't mean that you'll become a doctor (you can if you want), but the strength you gain from fighting through this period of your life will truly make you a more resilient person. Never give up. Keep fighting. As I like to tell myself: "walk up to anxiety and let it punch you in the face." In the end you'll be still be standing and be stronger for it.

Best,
    Pdub

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    Hi All,

New to this forum - not new to anxiety. in 2006, shortly after getting married, I began experiencing hypochondria for the first time. Previously, I had dealt with panic attacks. The scariest thing about hypochondria was that at first, I didn't realize it was a form of my existing anxiety. I simply thought I was dying. First it was colon cancer. I was completely convinced I had it. I googled the symptoms and found that I had 10 of "10 signs that you have colon cancer." I went to my doctor and he said this was simply irritable bowel syndrome. I didn't believe him and kept going to doctors until one finally gave me a colonoscopy. It was only then that I was 90% sure I didn't have cancer. After that scare I soon convinced myself that I had multiple sclerosis. After I few months of pure terror and constantly googling my symptoms, this evolved into me being convinced that I had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I was sure that I had only months to live and I began writing a list of things to do before I became incapacitated. It was only after several negative EMS tests that a neurologist could mostly convince me that I was completely healthy.

A very interesting thing happened during this time. As I began to research my symptoms and read more about these diagnoses, I became more fascinated with health care and the human body. About one year later, I quit my job in advertising and began work on prerequisite classes for nursing school. That was in 2007. Recently I graduated with my Master of Nursing degree and became a nurse practitioner. I have been hired at a fantastic job with a cardiology group. My hypochondria is basically non-existant because I can reason through my perceive symptoms. I know what sick people look like and I am not one of them.

The point I want to make to you is that yes, this is horrible, probably the most horrible thing you've ever experienced. But, you can and will find positivity from this very difficult time in your life. That doesn't mean that you'll become a doctor (you can if you want), but the strength you gain from fighting through this period of your life will truly make you a more resilient person. Never give up. Keep fighting. As I like to tell myself: "walk up to anxiety and let it punch you in the face." In the end you'll be still be standing and be stronger for it.

Best,
    Pdub
    Really gud promising story and good to knw u have come our fighting

Ok this was a good read . Finely a positive outlook, I myself have g.a.d. and p.a.d.. with the help if meds.self education .exercise yes I did say exercise .and a will not to give up .I'm making it . Some days are harder then others but its all good . It was nice to read a positive out look .