Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Question Bupropion makes you more anxious?

My doctor has me taking Bupropion (wellbutrin XL) 300mg....it has been just about just over a year now..and all of a sudden I'm shaky and am conscious of my heartbeat. I wake up shaky. I'm also taking klonopin 1mg, 2xs day as needed, but in the past couple of months I'm taking it to offset what seems to be the effects of Bupropion. Seems odd my anxiety has become worse. I was told by another that Bupropion "makes you more anxious but keeps you from having panic attacks, and taking a calming medication to offset the shakiness of Bupropion should be acceptable." What? A medication that is supposed to help with depression and anxiety makes me more anxious so I need to take another medication to offset the side effects of the initial medication? Seems strange to me. I've taken klonopin for several years as needed. I've been on Elavil for years (doctors differ on if it damages the heart or not. I had one doctor literally yell at me for taking it.) and then was switched to Paxil (which made me itch like mad for 3 months and I finally asked the doctor I had then if it was a side effect and he said "Yes" I was put on Effexor which in my opinion made me angry and suicidal. Then that doctor left the area so went to another who put me on Bupropion XL and seroquel and clonazepam (generic klonopin)....the seroquel I was told to take before going out to lessen anxiety. I was so 'stoned' at the store I went to my car and sat there until I felt I could drive safely home and stopped taking seroquel and stayed with the clonazepam.
    Admittedly I went into a manic state for about 6 months and stopped taking the Bupropion until I started to get really depressed again and went back on it and it helped almost immediately, but now I'm suffering from shaking and just feeling miserable. I've researched Bupropion and find it is a precursor to amphetamines (!!! for a person with anxiety?) and am taking the clonazepam 2xs a day most of the time to offset the shakiness...and with the 1mg clonazepam I'm now taking benadryl so I can sleep through the night. (I did mention to the doctor that prescribed Seroquel that I was also taking benadryl and he didn't blink...and seemed ok with it.)
    Is Bupropion the best med for a person with high anxiety...social phobia etc? Anyone had experience with it making anxiety worse?
    Yes I'm going to call my doctor as it is almost time to refill my meds...but just wanted to know others experience/s with bupropion, so I have more to discuss with him about the amount I'm taking and IF I should be taking it.
    I really, really want to drop pharmaceuticals and try alternative treatments/supplements as I hate switching meds and suffering from side effects and I honestly think doctors over prescribe and juggle meds far too much....but want to be careful and not make things worse.
    Any input for those taking Bupropion and effects on their anxiety is appreciated.

Hi, and sorry you are feeling that way! I just started back on it a month ago. I did feel some increased anxiety for the first week or so and had to take xanax a few times but I am feeling much better now. I was expecting that based on the known side effects. This isn't the first time I have taken it. Twelve years ago when my panic attacks were really bad I was on Zoloft and wellbutrin at the same time. It is true that it isn't always the best fit for anxiety, but since it helped for a year, Could it be that it just isn't strong enough and you need something in addition temporarily? Maybe something is causing you to have more anxiety right now?