Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Beta Blocker - Propranolol

Hi just wondering how effective the Beta Blocker Propranolol is with people or any beta blocker? Does it help a lot with the anxiety or not really? Any side effects?

Thanks

Hi Chloe.....I'm not familiar with Propranolol at all. I did some research and quoted something from a forum. It seems it's very common. I wouldn't be afraid to try it at all.
    There are also many drugs that can help with anxiety. I take Clonazepam with good results.

Take Care

"There are two main types of beta receptor, designated β1, β2 (there is a β3). This is where the Beta blockers block !

There are 2 main types of Beta Blocker, those that block 1 or 2 or work to block both.

Stimulation of β1 receptors by epinephrine (this is one of the main stress hormones). It induces a positive forceful effect on the heart. Blocking it reduces the amount released.

Stimulation of β2 receptors on the kidney causes renin release. This results in vasodilation (enlarging blood vessels) and bronchodilation (opening up the airways). It also induces tremor in skeletal muscle, and increases glycogenolysis (making energy for you). Blocking this is what stops the blushing and tremor.

Beta Blockers block these actions from happening.

Propranalol is a non-selective (works at both B1 and B2) used mainly used in the treatment of hypertension.

Some others are more selective working only on the Beta 1 receptors (so they effect the heart but not the lungs). This is good if you have asthma as you don't want to stop your lungs opening up. With anxiety though you don't need more oxygen as you are already probably overbreathing."

Helps with tremor, shaking, racing heart and PTSD.
    The physical symptoms is what it helps with primarily and it helps me allot(20-40 mg). Alankay

Thanks for your replies.

I'm really on my last straw with anxiety I jut can't handle it anymore and am worried what I might so if I snap!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

I'm really on my last straw with anxiety I jut can't handle it anymore and am worried what I might so if I snap!!
    Hello Chloe have you not taken
    Any yet?

I have taken some just now so I'm hoping it starts to work 2 10mg.

Hi just wondering how effective the Beta Blocker Propranolol is with people or any beta blocker? Does it help a lot with the anxiety or not really? Any side effects?

Thanks

When I first started getting anxiety they put me on the beta blocker Metropolol. It helped me a lot at first to control the heart palpitations and slow my racing heart rate. I don't typically have those symptoms anymore, so not sure if it was the meds helping or the anxiety meds now. But it definitely helped me for a few months! Side effects for me were sleepiness and lower blood pressure (it wasn't high to start). But my doc has me take the meds at night, so it doesn't effect me. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Hi Steph,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it worked for you I have taken my first dose 2 x 10mg and I think it's working I just feel a bit giddy.

I think my whole problem is I'm not on the correct anti depressant I'm not sure if you reach a point where your just like wow this medication is really working but I haven't had that feeling yet. So it's trial and error and beta blockers for now.

Hope your doing well on your journey through anxiety!

Hi Steph,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it worked for you I have taken my first dose 2 x 10mg and I think it's working I just feel a bit giddy.

I think my whole problem is I'm not on the correct anti depressant I'm not sure if you reach a point where your just like wow this medication is really working but I haven't had that feeling yet. So it's trial and error and beta blockers for now.

Hope your doing well on your journey through anxiety!

It definitely is trial and error for the meds. You usually don't jump for joy when on the right drug but you will suddenly notice one day that you weren't thinking a bad thought or had anxiety in hrs. That's a nice feeling!!
    Good luck to all of you!!!

how was the first dose for u Chloe?