Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Finding a job

Finding a job

Hi everyone! My name's Molly and I just recently turned eighteen. I've been struggling with Social Anxiety now for three years. One big thing I'm struggling with is finding a job. I've never had a job before, besides babysitting. My parents really want me to get a job as soon as possible and I do too, I think it'd be rewarding and ill feel achieved. Plus it'll help with my SA. The problem isn't applying. The problem is following up and then accepting an interview. I've applied to lots of places. My mom always tells me to follow up and I know it's a crucial part of the process but I get so much anxiety about talking to someone on the phone or in the store. I did finally call this one sandwich shop after handing my application in in person which was very difficult, I followed up on the phone and was really proud of myself. After not hearing anything back, I followed up again and they put my name down. I've heard nothing since and haven't followed up anyway else yet. The worst part is going to be the interview. I absolutely dread group interviews. Everyone looking at you while you turn bright red and can barely talk. I've only had one interview in my life. I was a sophomore in high school and was interviewing for a position as a freshman mentor. It was a small group of maybe 6. When it was my turn to answer the question I turned bright red as she was asking me the question and everyone stared. I couldn't think of what to say and wanted to cry but said something small. I felt so stupid because everyone else seemed like they weren't nervous, had a long answer and they knew what they were doing. They never even got back to me saying if I made it or not, which I took as not. I was thinking about following up at some places but then I found a site where you can look up what a stores interview will be like. People talk about their experience and the questions. After I looked at everything I got so discouraged. If I was asked any of the questions right now I would literally sit there and say nothing. I have no job experience. Most of the questions were "Name a time where you disagreed with an employee" or something along those lines, in which I have never had any of those experiences. My dad puts me under a lot of stress about jobs. When I reminded him of my anxiety, he told my mom he thinks I'm lazy and it's just an excuse. But I really do want a job; it's just the thought of an interview is so terrifying I can't help but shake when I think of it. My mom understands but still pushes me to follow up. Any advice? P.S I'm quite new to this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyfw View Post
    Hi everyone! My name's Molly and I just recently turned eighteen. I've been struggling with Social Anxiety now for three years. One big thing I'm struggling with is finding a job. I've never had a job before, besides babysitting. My parents really want me to get a job as soon as possible and I do too, I think it'd be rewarding and ill feel achieved. Plus it'll help with my SA. The problem isn't applying. The problem is following up and then accepting an interview. I've applied to lots of places. My mom always tells me to follow up and I know it's a crucial part of the process but I get so much anxiety about talking to someone on the phone or in the store. I did finally call this one sandwich shop after handing my application in in person which was very difficult, I followed up on the phone and was really proud of myself. After not hearing anything back, I followed up again and they put my name down. I've heard nothing since and haven't followed up anyway else yet. The worst part is going to be the interview. I absolutely dread group interviews. Everyone looking at you while you turn bright red and can barely talk. I've only had one interview in my life. I was a sophomore in high school and was interviewing for a position as a freshman mentor. It was a small group of maybe 6. When it was my turn to answer the question I turned bright red as she was asking me the question and everyone stared. I couldn't think of what to say and wanted to cry but said something small. I felt so stupid because everyone else seemed like they weren't nervous, had a long answer and they knew what they were doing. They never even got back to me saying if I made it or not, which I took as not. I was thinking about following up at some places but then I found a site where you can look up what a stores interview will be like. People talk about their experience and the questions. After I looked at everything I got so discouraged. If I was asked any of the questions right now I would literally sit there and say nothing. I have no job experience. Most of the questions were "Name a time where you disagreed with an employee" or something along those lines, in which I have never had any of those experiences. My dad puts me under a lot of stress about jobs. When I reminded him of my anxiety, he told my mom he thinks I'm lazy and it's just an excuse. But I really do want a job; it's just the thought of an interview is so terrifying I can't help but shake when I think of it. My mom understands but still pushes me to follow up. Any advice? P.S I'm quite new to this forum.
    Welcome ,
    We all suffer from anxiety here so don't worry.
    The way I see it is that you need to believe in yourself and just simply give it your all during your interview, why worry about others if nobody is perfect. I'm sure you'll do great in any interview that you go to. As for your parents I totally understand what you're going through. My parents thought I was joking when i would tell then I was feeling bad.

couple ideas

1. Remember it is just a part time job. Do not worry if you get it or not. I think you are afraid of being turned down, which once it happens enough, you will deal with it more easily.

2. Do not place so much emphasis on work. I live my job, and the best thing to do is realize that the job is not that big of a deal.

3. Think about doing mock interviews with a friend or parent.

4. Just go on an interview without desiring the job, but instead seeking interview experience.

Thank you to you both!!