Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Correct me if I'm wrong

I have been thinking about how most of us on this forum have this agoraphobia that we are trying to overcome, and something made me question why we have our avoidance behaviors. I mean, the simple explanation would be that we just don't wanna put ourselves in a situation where we feel vulnerable to a panic attack, right? So then, it doesn't matter so much what caused your panic attack in the first place. What matters is that we all have had a frightening panic attack, and as a result, slowly started to develop agoraphobia as a result of trying to avoid having another one after the fact, every moment of every day. I mean, I guess it could be helpful to identify specific panic triggers if you have any, but the point I think I realized a few nights ago, id that that doesn't matter as much as I thought. What matters most is that we all have avoidance behaviors that we put out to avoid the attacks, when the only way we are ever going to get better, is to retrain our nervous systems to not respond to anxiety as strongly. You gotta go through Hell, to get to Heaven, I guess.

Any thoughts?

I never had agoraphobia or anything like it before I started experiencing anxiety, which came on very suddenly...the severe anxiety anyway...I'm starting to realize that I think I've suffered from general anxiety disorder my whole life. At any rate, the agoraphobic feeling has been a recent development for me, only since I experienced a really severe panic attack a few weeks ago, so I definitely think you're right. Like you said, I think the agoraphobia comes from not wanting to experience another panic attack...or, for me, sometimes I don't even care about the panic attack itself, I just don't want to be in front of people or in a public place where I'm going to get embarrassed on top of having a panic attack. I tend to get really emotional when I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, and I'll burst into tears at the littlest thing when I'm not even expecting it. This happened to me in a McDonald's with my friend once and to me that was one of the most horrible things there was because everyone was looking at me. Awkward. Anyway, I can't stand the agoraphobia because it's so out of character for me. I've had to consciously put myself in uncomfortable situations lately because I don't want the anxiety and agoraphobia to take control of my life!

Yea I know exactly how you feel. I think you're doing the right thing though, and that's great. I know for a fact that I've had anxiety for my whole life as well. It was just sleeping, till I had my panic attack ,and then BAM!!! this shit started happening. Good luck, Trippin, and make sure to keep us here on the forum posted!!!

You nailed it right on the head! I'm agoraphobic, and I have been doing exposure therapy myself. And yes anxiety will kick in! But no full blown panic attacks! You have to work hard on breaking the circle that causes us to have panic by making the first signs of anxiety unimportant! It's only when your thoughts take over can it escalate! Just acknowledge then as sensations, and give it no other thought after that! They get weaker, and weaker! Mine has! Can I can do just about anything now. I still have some more exposures to go thro, but my confidents has improved! And my knowledge! And that my friends is all the tools you need!