Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

can i take prozac with paxil?

i stopped taking paxil awhile ago (40mg) it was working ok but i was still anxious and very depressed, i decided i didnt want to take paxil anymore because of side effects so i took a break from medication for awhile. i had afew bad episodes and now its my 5th day of taking prozac (20mg) this morning i woke up short of breate and had a very bad panic attack, worse than ever. ive read prozac takes up to 5-6 weeks to get the full effect and i cant wait that long...i still have an old prescription for paxil but i saw a site that said taking prozac and paxil can be very bad and even fatal...can anyone confirm this because im thinking its almost worth it to try im in such bad shape...

i also have a prescription for trilofon(Perphenazine)...if anyone knows if that and prozac will work

Taking two SSRIs can indeed be VERY bad, and even fatal. Serotonin syndrome is a REAL possibility. It is certainly not something I (or anyone here) could recommend. And it is not a typical thing for a doctor to prescribe, either. So you are best off not even trying this. As for Prozac taking 5-6 weeks to have an effect, remember that this is the case for most meds, Paxil included So if you have already come off Paxil, taking it again is going to require the same 5-6 week time frame as Prozac. Regardless, trying to self-medicate here is a BAD idea.