Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Need some help

Need some help

Hey I'm new here. I posted a huge post last night, but I'm ot sure if any of the moderators are going to post it. If they choose to, I will delete this post. Anyway, I have agoraphobia and I think i have a strong underlying cause. I plan to take care of this cause using exposure therapy based on CBT. I keep an anxiety log journal that I write in almost every day to gauge my progress. I have trouble going almost anywhere without a safe person. That safe person happens to be my mom. I am 19. Male. What advice can you give me? Should I try and drive out as far as possible and just surrender to the anxiety when the panic symptoms start to come on, or should I inch out slowly and repeatedly go to a certain area until I am comfortable being there?

I'd go about it slowly and methodically unless you tolerate anxiety well enough to just go out and stay out until it starts to subside which might be a while. Alankay

So what you recommend that I do if I am out sitting in an open space and the panic symptoms start to come on? I wanna stay and surrender to them, so that I won't be going against my best interests in recovery, but do you have any tips? For example, should I try and talk myself through it? Anything else you might recommend?

How do you do with listening to music ? How do you do with listening to a breathing app I would try that. I have driving anxiety I do ok on back roads but the freeway scares me. Play a favorite song over and over again, sing it, pray as your walking or driving or as the attack comes on. It's all about getting your mind on something else!

Thank you both for your responses. I always listen to music when I drive in my car. I went out today and didnt have any anxiety at all. I didn't go very far, but they were a bunch of other cars on the road, and that usually bothers me. I am starting to make progress.

We're u in a car accident?

No it's a traffic kind of thing. I mean, I've been in a fender bender or two before, and when I first got my license and first car, and drove into shit and banged up my old stationwagon, haha, but never anything traumatic. With agoraphobia, most people don't like having a lot of cars on the road cause lots of cars leads to traffic which ultimately can lad to panic.

Do you drive ok on back roads? I have about 15 minutes on freeway every morning on way to work I go a few exits at a time and then get off and take the side roads the rest of way. I really celebrate when I make it the whole way freeway. I have had issues since about two yrs after a very bad accident. I was not hurt but I was the driver, my bro and his best friend (like another bro) were hurt bad! Hit my head several times. I'm sorry you feel this pain, I would not wish it on anyone! I'm trying therapy next week for PTSD and I try to really keep a positive attitude and get my mind off drama. It's though tho I am a single mom with a mouthy teenager that thinks I'm crazy for turning the music down or saying calm down. It really sparks the panic

I hope you find peace, comfort, and resolve very soon. You seem like a sweety with a big heart.

Funny thing about PTSD, is that for awhile I thought I might have had it, but, I'm pretty sure now that I don't. Post traumatic stress disorder occurs after witnessing or experiencing a situation where you are/were almost killed. Or when something of that nature happens to someone else and you are there to bear witness to it. The reason I thought that I might have it, is because I developed a childhood phobia at a really young age, (repeated exposure to a violent horror movie) and I think it has a lot to do with some of the problems I am facing now. As a youngster, our minds are undeveloped, and we don't yet have the tools to tell reality from fiction. So yea...

Positive self talk, controlled normal breathing and relaxing all the head, neck, jaw and shoulder muscles will help. I would start small while practicing all. Alankay