Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Generalised anxiety and traveling

Ok so, every holiday i've been on even since I was little I have always felt a bit worried or out of sorts about, but it's been nothing over powering.
    In recent times the 'worrier' in me has increased into being full blown anxiety, it is over various situations and not just holidays.
    I'm on medication at the moment and have been on various different meds for a few years.. for anxiety and for mood disorders. These medications are great for my mood but do nothing for my anxiety.

My main anxiety that I have to deal with is experiencing new things, like a new job, a new person or a new place.
    I want to become a more independent person in all aspects of my life and one thing I would love to do more than anything else is to travel.. which right now seems near impossible.
    I have had two bad experiences within the last two years that really lowered my self confidence and self beliefs.

Its not the actual traveling that makes me anxious, i'm fine sitting on a plane or train etc.. I think it's the thought of not being familiar with the destination and not knowing what could or couldn't happen. These fears really take over and ruin any chance I have of enjoying new things.

Any advice or comments from people with similar experiences would be really nice.

Anxiety during exploring new things are common in every person, we r kore sensitive so we our brain thinks more n usual, juz say to urself ur going to a new place and u r exploring things which u dont know so make it thrilling dont let ur anxiety cover up, make urself understand that its a new place not a zombie land..
    Get into d plane enjoy ur flying get down airport start ur navigation in ur mobile.. not a big thing... its juz our brain is sick..

Quote Originally Posted by rw3791 View Post
    Ok so, every holiday i've been on even since I was little I have always felt a bit worried or out of sorts about, but it's been nothing over powering.
    In recent times the 'worrier' in me has increased into being full blown anxiety, it is over various situations and not just holidays.
    I'm on medication at the moment and have been on various different meds for a few years.. for anxiety and for mood disorders. These medications are great for my mood but do nothing for my anxiety.

My main anxiety that I have to deal with is experiencing new things, like a new job, a new person or a new place.
    I want to become a more independent person in all aspects of my life and one thing I would love to do more than anything else is to travel.. which right now seems near impossible.
    I have had two bad experiences within the last two years that really lowered my self confidence and self beliefs.

Its not the actual traveling that makes me anxious, i'm fine sitting on a plane or train etc.. I think it's the thought of not being familiar with the destination and not knowing what could or couldn't happen. These fears really take over and ruin any chance I have of enjoying new things.

Any advice or comments from people with similar experiences would be really nice.
    I have the same issues.. Just traveling 40-60 mins in an unfamiliar area will set my anxieties off.. Or being in heavy traffic in an unfamiliar area so that I feel "trapped"..
    My dr says its agoraphobia..

"Agoraphobia

Panic disorder with agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder in which a person has attacks of intense fear and anxiety. There is also a fear of being in places where it is hard to escape, or where help might not be available."

Uughhhh I wd be panicking going over bridges. Panicking driving around winding roads by mountains. ., etc etc.. Debilitating.. Exhausting..

But Zoloft changed that for me. Maybe you should try Zoloft? I have never seen such a dramatic change w in myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by rw3791 View Post

I know exactly what you mean. My husband is getting really annoyed this year because I won't consider a holiday abroad. Unfortunately on our 25th anniversary cruise my husband was ill and now I can't get the panic I felt out of my head and risk being abroad again with him ill. It is such a shame because up to then I was able to control my claustrophobia and get on to planes and travel to lots of places and really enjoy it but now I won't go out of England.

So it is important that you do go on holiday and do it, because once you stop it is so hard to start again. With meds and help like meditation etc you can get on top of this and go on holiday and have a good time. Start small, just a few days away not far away from home, so you have the safety of not being far away, and then once you have managed that and enjoyed it you can try further afield.

Good luck I hope you manage to do it, even if it is only one day just a few miles from home, it is a start.