Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duddits View Post
    Researchers say, according to a new study, that adolescent girls with eating disorders are at risk of developing anxiety disorders, and vice versa.

University researchers examinated the simultaneous occurrence of eating disorders and mood disorders among 672 twins (age 16 through 18) from the Minnesota Twin Family Study. The subjects of the study completed structured interviewed that found the occurance of bulimia or anorexia, assessed mood, anxiety, and substance use.

Click here to read the rest of the news story

above link doesn't work???????

This is a slightly different take on anxiety and eating disorders. I am a recovering bulimic and binge eater. And I suffer from anxiety. During my binges, I am almost in a trance trying to calm my anxiety. When I feel anxious for whatever reason, or feel the need to binge...food is the only thing that calms me down. If I don't eat or binge, my anxiety will get worse and turn into a panic attack. Of course then, I self medicate with a binge to feel balanced.

I can see that cause now my anxiety is getting worse food is the absolute last thing on my mind. Right now just the thought of food makes my stomach flip. But when i have more control over my anxiety i love food.

I have suffered with a severe phobia for ten yrs. I have a fear of vomiting(i dont even like typing the word). I also have anorexia. I dont eat often because of my fear. i am constantly thinking about this ridiculous phobia. it never leaves my mind. I rarely leave my house because i don't want to be in contact with other people. my triggers result in crippling panic attacks. the slightest statement will send me over the edge for hours and hours, sometimes days. i need help. i have tried everything. im scared everyday and i ball my eyes out atleast once a day. this is putting a strain on my relationship with the most amazing guy in the world..
    thanks

I feel your pain. I had eating issues from the ages of 12-21. Now I have issues with being scared I am going to choke. Have you gone to a psychiatrist or counselor? I am so sorry you are going through all this. It is very tough, but you'll get through it.

i have been working with my therapist on it. its still really tough, but i get through it i guess. i get a lump in my throat sometimes when im having a panic attack. i cant swallow or breathe when that happens. its terrifying. yours started when you were 12?? thats horrible. you were just a child. :-(

I was a young child; yes. It was horrid. I get the lump in throat thing too. Especially when I eat.(mainly when I go out to eat) It is terrifying. Do you ever go in the chatroom?

yes im in there now. ill stay in

I'm sorry I missed you. I had left for my doctors appointment.

Those with eating disorders are worried about their appearance, among other things. So the idea that eating disorders and anxiety disorders can develop in the same person doesn't surprise me.