Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Burglars !

Burglars !

Well we had a burgler in the house and I woke up in utter fear. I just cant sleep since then and when I do, I wake up to that cold feeling a several times at night and get very hyprconscious to every noise I hear, even birds. I know this is anxiety but I dont know how to get my peace back.. I get so many thoughts about whats going to happen next, I keep feeling that it woud happen again and it takes all my peace away
    please assist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GamefreakO
    Well we had a burgler in the house and I woke up in utter fear. I just cant sleep since then and when I do, I wake up to that cold feeling a several times at night and get very hyprconscious to every noise I hear, even birds. I know this is anxiety but I dont know how to get my peace back.. I get so many thoughts about whats going to happen next, I keep feeling that it woud happen again and it takes all my peace away
    please assist
    Thanks
    Hi Gamefreak, Im sorry your home was broken into. Did they take much? Its understandable that your anxiety has become worse since the break in. Do you have family to help you through or a good doctor,councellor because the best thing for you to do is TALK to somebody about the event and how its made you feel! I hope you start feeling better soon. Stay well. Beverley

Hi Beverly, it was just one guy and we dont have anything valuable in the house so he only got two phones haha My anxiety is from the fact that a robber or few might break in again, I wouldnt worry about any thing being stolen but I fear someone at home being hit or harrassed and thats the reason that keeps me awake. Yes Ill try and sharing more openly but its so diffcult to express yourself when you have anxiety al over I even forget things Ive always got so many thoughts to share
    Thanks for the support I do feel someone actually cares
    Quote Originally Posted by scared44 View Post
    Hi Gamefreak, Im sorry your home was broken into. Did they take much? Its understandable that your anxiety has become worse since the break in. Do you have family to help you through or a good doctor,councellor because the best thing for you to do is TALK to somebody about the event and how its made you feel! I hope you start feeling better soon. Stay well. Beverley

I would find that hard to get over! If it happened to me I would be a wreck. I hope you resolve those feelings. :-)

Really normal to have anxiety about something like this happening again.
    When we first moved into our house it was a lot bigger than had before and my husband worked away a lot. Although I loved the house but for the first five months I could not settle and then we realised I was worried about people getting in at night because some friends had not long before moved to a new house and been burgled through their patio doors at night whilst they were asleep.
    To cure my problem I had a community police officer come round to meet me and he told me all the vulnerable bits in the house and to have an alarm fitted.
    We did all the things he suggested to make the house safer and at night I would put the alarm on downstairs. I also have a panic button next to my bed, a chime goes off when any outside door opens even when alarm is off so I know if a door is opened even during the day and we have it monitored so that the alarm company does call the police if they can't get an answer from the house when the alarm goes off or they ring and you give your bad password which means you need help and someone in the house.
    After 13 years in the house we still have the monitored alarm but I rarely use it at night now as got braver, But i love the chime that goes off if a door opens because if sat in the lounge at night i know if someone has managed to open the back door or garage door so i don't worry about bumps and creaks when on my own during the evenings. it was worth the investment and yearly maintenance cist so I can enjoy the house i had always wanted.

Sorry to hear that, buy a gun and ensure that he never steals again.

Quote Originally Posted by frankzito View Post
    I would find that hard to get over! If it happened to me I would be a wreck. I hope you resolve those feelings. :-)
    I have always heard such stories and it sounded funny until the second night after the event haha :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lin View Post
    Really normal to have anxiety about something like this happening again.
    When we first moved into our house it was a lot bigger than had before and my husband worked away a lot. Although I loved the house but for the first five months I could not settle and then we realised I was worried about people getting in at night because some friends had not long before moved to a new house and been burgled through their patio doors at night whilst they were asleep.
    To cure my problem I had a community police officer come round to meet me and he told me all the vulnerable bits in the house and to have an alarm fitted.
    We did all the things he suggested to make the house safer and at night I would put the alarm on downstairs. I also have a panic button next to my bed, a chime goes off when any outside door opens even when alarm is off so I know if a door is opened even during the day and we have it monitored so that the alarm company does call the police if they can't get an answer from the house when the alarm goes off or they ring and you give your bad password which means you need help and someone in the house.
    After 13 years in the house we still have the monitored alarm but I rarely use it at night now as got braver, But i love the chime that goes off if a door opens because if sat in the lounge at night i know if someone has managed to open the back door or garage door so i don't worry about bumps and creaks when on my own during the evenings. it was worth the investment and yearly maintenance cist so I can enjoy the house i had always wanted.
    Thankyou I would really wanna take such measures soon loved hearing about your experience, stay blessed

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlstrom View Post
    Sorry to hear that, buy a gun and ensure that he never steals again.
    Hahahahahahaha !! By the way i dont fancy that :P