Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Questions about Zoloft

Hi everyone. I started taking Zoloft (50 mg) in March for generalized anxiety. I had been on this med. for 3 years (2009-2012) and had very good results with no side effects. This time, upon starting the med. I started to feel the med. working within about a week but then it was hit or miss for the following three weeks. I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor and she suggested increasing to 100 mg. since I wasn't fully rid of all of the anxiety symptoms. I have been taking 100 mg/day in the mornings for almost three full weeks. Initially I felt like the "on edge" feeling had diminished but for the past four days I have felt increased anxiety again although not even close to as bad as before I was taking the med. Is this normal after increasing the dosage? How long can I expect the "roller coaster" of symptoms where there are stretches of major relief and then a day or two of setback? Any feedback/advice is welcomed! Thanks, all!

That's fairly common with upping the dose and it will pass. You can go a few days taking 50 mgs AM and then PM(splitting the dose) or just hang in there until it really starts to works and you'll feel better. After a while go back to taking all 100 mgs in the AM. The good sign is that this helped you before so I bet it will again if you give it a few more weeks. Alankay

Not taken zoloft, but know from the many tablets i have tried that it is common to get anxiety as side effect when increase a dose. As Alan Kay said worth persevering if worked for you before as should do now and side effects should lessen.
    However, if side effects don't lessen don't worry about going back to see if something else would be better. Our bodies change all the time and something which has worked can stop working or have too many side effects suddenly.