Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti-medication

Quote Originally Posted by kelliesean View Post
    I agree 100% Lin!!!
    Thank you, cheered me up so much getting your response. Lin

I am the same I've never been on anything be4 apart from beta blockers And now I'm on something for the very first time in 20 years,sometimes in life we need a little bit of help and it's not weak to take it,you have to make the best Decision for yourself x

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Griffin View Post
    When i started to get panic attacks the doctor put me on lexapro. I was never one for medication but i took them. Changed my mind after a few days and took myself off them. I decided to kick this myself. For a long time i done nothing and let the anxiety take over. I was very down a lot of the time. So i decided to take myself off the pill (which can increase depression), start taking a B vitamin complex and eat a healthy diet (i had an unhealthy diet before). I noticed over time my mood did improve. But the anxiety is worse than ever. I decided to start meditation and went to the first class last night. It was brilliant! It was so relaxing. When i got there the woman running the class picked an angel card for each of us. I was given the card of death and rebirth. It told me to stop worrying and realise that my path in life will lead to death ( i suffer from health anxiety and always worry about dying). I felt great after reading the things on the card that was picked for me. The session was great and the meditation really helped to escape from my panicking thoughts. Im going to go every tuesday. I really believe that i on a path to recovery now, and even better doing it without medicine.

I just wanted to know has anyone else tried meditation and what do they think?

Or any other things i can do to relax and relieve anxiety the natural way without medication?

Open to all suggestions!
    Thanks everybody.

I think that if you are suffering and need to take meds than go for it. That is if they help. I personally have taken the natural route and have had much success. I did take Klonapin as needed for several months. I took it at night to sleep and it really saved me. But I was smart about it and did not abuse it or allow myself to get addicted. I still have them on hand but havent taken one in months. It is nice to know they are there.

Now as far as the natural route goes the possibilities are endless. I recommend a book called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It is really awesome and has helped me greatly. I would get your vitamin d, b12, and tyroid checked at a minimum. Most of our society, myself included, has a vitamin d deficiency. Boosting my levels had made me feel way better. Magnesium is great for anxiety. A good multi vitamin is a must. Fish oil and b complex work good for some.

Taurine, glycine, gaba, and holy basil are among some natural supplements great for anxiety. Sunshine and exercise are essential as well. Diet may be the most important. Make sure you cut out sugar and caffeine. Try to eat low glycemic foods. Lots of protein, good fats, and veggies.

My best recommendation is the Mood Cure book. Its got all the info I mentioned and more. Check out the reviews on amazon and decide for yourself. I suggest it to mot people on here but not many have taken my advice. Maybe they think I am some kind of company rep but im just a normal college kid trying to share whats helped me. I hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Griffin View Post
    When i started to get panic attacks the doctor put me on lexapro. I was never one for medication but i took them. Changed my mind after a few days and took myself off them. I decided to kick this myself. For a long time i done nothing and let the anxiety take over. I was very down a lot of the time. So i decided to take myself off the pill (which can increase depression), start taking a B vitamin complex and eat a healthy diet (i had an unhealthy diet before). I noticed over time my mood did improve. But the anxiety is worse than ever. I decided to start meditation and went to the first class last night. It was brilliant! It was so relaxing. When i got there the woman running the class picked an angel card for each of us. I was given the card of death and rebirth. It told me to stop worrying and realise that my path in life will lead to death ( i suffer from health anxiety and always worry about dying). I felt great after reading the things on the card that was picked for me. The session was great and the meditation really helped to escape from my panicking thoughts. Im going to go every tuesday. I really believe that i on a path to recovery now, and even better doing it without medicine.

I just wanted to know has anyone else tried meditation and what do they think?

Or any other things i can do to relax and relieve anxiety the natural way without medication?

Open to all suggestions!
    Thanks everybody.
    Medication takes a month to kick into effect, not just a few days. One way I knew (not to sound inappropriate) but you have less sexual pleasure "orgasm", you cannot have a full blown bodily reaction, so that is when you will know it's set in.

I feel my medication works pretty good most of the time other than when I have full blown panic attacks (while on Zoloft).

I've never bothered trying meditation, I feel my hobbies work much better to help relax me. It's the worries and unhappiness I am currently experiencing that are causing my constant attacks. Zoloft is nothing more than just an aid for that really. it's not a happy pill, it'll just stop that adrenalin from being in your system for hours on end. but I do wish it would work a bit better in preventing me from having full blown attacks, that is my main beef with it.