Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Death. Eternal Oblivion. Really scared.

It's been a while since I posted. I'm happy to say my fears of terminal illnesses have passed and my crazy anxiety has gone away. But after going through all that I've recently had the realization I will be dead one day. I'm 23 right now so I don't plan on going just now but it all hit me, one day I will be gone, cease to exist. I'm not a religious person but I never really thought about what could be after death. Realistically I have a feeling it's eternal oblivion and that scares the shit out of me. Everything you love, know, remember, just gone. Eternally gone. Now while I wouldn't be aware of it since I'm dead it just scares me. I read reports of near death experiences (NDE) and I do find them interesting and comforting to say the least, then I read scientific studies just disproving everything. Basically I'm scared. It's not like I've never thought about death before it's just now it really hit me and it's been on my mind for weeks. It's really got me down. I feel like I want an answer, I really want to know what happens. I know I never will so I'm having a hard time accepting it. Every time I do something I enjoy I just think "one day I'll forget this forever" or "one day I'll never be able to do this again". I think if I can accept my greatest fear about death I think I'll be okay. Then if there really is some form of afterlife I will be so happy.

I also thought of reincarnation. But that leads my thoughts even further. What if I reincarnate as an animal? Unless I'm at the top of the food chain I'll always be hunted. What if I reincarnate as a murderer, or someone with a mental disease, or any horrible disease for that matter? Reincarnation can't go on for eternity. Earth won't always be around and if humans don't find another way to live on, then what? Another species on another planet, if there is one?

Basically all I want after I die is to see my family again and preserve my memories but realistically I don't think it's going to happen and that just scares me. Anyone else go through something like this? If so, how did you learn to accept it?

I used to be very scared of death, I had severe depression and anxiety after a very bad reaction to a medication and I wound up in a self-help psycho ward. The first night there was hell, my heart rate was going 160 constantly for 5 hours on end, I had no tranquilizers to even remotely calm me down. I knew that it wouldn't kill me, but I was in such physical pain I was ready to commit suicide. I still sometimes worry about what you too worry about, except somewhat different: what if my anxiety goes out of control giving me depression again? What if the cons of living are outweighing the pros, I don't want to die!

I still get it from time to time at completely random times, but there are some ways I learn to cope with it and really reduce the fear: First off is to remember that you've been here (scared of death) before, and I didn't die, I didn't commit suicide. Each time you are able to shake off the thoughts again you make your brain's coping technique to that fear much more effective. The second thing I do when I have thoughts of my inevitable death is think about whether worrying about is worth my time and energy? Which of course it's not, worrying is going to get you nowhere. I don't NEED to worry about death because I will find out the answer eventually, (or maybe I won't). Third coping technique I use is just to accept that everything dies and nothing is forever, it's a morbid thought, but I've grown to accept it.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make any sense ive been awake for a day straight :P

I'm sorry i can't relate to what your feeling as I am a Christian, but maybe I can give you a perspective to look at. I don't want to come across as forcing my beliefs on you, but I feel it is my responsibility to try to help in any way i can. I know some people have a hard time with "religion" and accepting it. I know alot of people are put off by religion, but I choose not to look at it as religion. I look at it as truth. No "denomination" or categorizing, just truth. It is a complete reality to me. Not only reality but also hope. Without it I would be lost with absolutely no sense of direction in my life. I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for my belief in God. I know I have problems in life, but I believe life isn't supposed to be easy. I believe God put us here to help one another and through one another we can overcome our trials. I put my faith in God and try to do good through him, and that is the only thing that can bring happiness to my life. I'm in a bit of a deep spot in my life, but I come here to these forums because I know that people with the same problems or people who have overcome these obstacles can help each other. Humanity depends on it and i believe it wouldn't be possible without God. The very sense of moral responsibility is enough for me to believe that God is in control. Without our moral responsibility I believe we would live like animals with nothing more than living on instinct.

Through writing this I have realized that I have been slipping in faith, which directly results in why I am where I am in my life. In a way you have helped me believe it or not, because I realize I am only at my happiest when I am close to God. I have drifted and It has made me fear life more than anything. I believe that hope in eternal life is the only answer to living a fully happy life. Great thing about life is we all have free will, so i can choose to believe in what I believe. You have a choice to believe in eternal oblivion or eternal life. I know we all have influences that sway us one way or another, but ultimately it is you who chooses what you believe and what makes you happy. I hope this has helped in one way or another, and I thank you for helping me.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptomex
    It's been a while since I posted. I'm happy to say my fears of terminal illnesses have passed and my crazy anxiety has gone away. But after going through all that I've recently had the realization I will be dead one day. I'm 23 right now so I don't plan on going just now but it all hit me, one day I will be gone, cease to exist. I'm not a religious person but I never really thought about what could be after death. Realistically I have a feeling it's eternal oblivion and that scares the shit out of me. Everything you love, know, remember, just gone. Eternally gone. Now while I wouldn't be aware of it since I'm dead it just scares me. I read reports of near death experiences (NDE) and I do find them interesting and comforting to say the least, then I read scientific studies just disproving everything. Basically I'm scared. It's not like I've never thought about death before it's just now it really hit me and it's been on my mind for weeks. It's really got me down. I feel like I want an answer, I really want to know what happens. I know I never will so I'm having a hard time accepting it. Every time I do something I enjoy I just think "one day I'll forget this forever" or "one day I'll never be able to do this again". I think if I can accept my greatest fear about death I think I'll be okay. Then if there really is some form of afterlife I will be so happy.

I also thought of reincarnation. But that leads my thoughts even further. What if I reincarnate as an animal? Unless I'm at the top of the food chain I'll always be hunted. What if I reincarnate as a murderer, or someone with a mental disease, or any horrible disease for that matter? Reincarnation can't go on for eternity. Earth won't always be around and if humans don't find another way to live on, then what? Another species on another planet, if there is one?

Basically all I want after I die is to see my family again and preserve my memories but realistically I don't think it's going to happen and that just scares me. Anyone else go through something like this? If so, how did you learn to accept it?
    Hey now come on your 23yrs old and have your WHOLE life ahead of you! Why do you fear death so much? Were all going to die oneday we just don't know when thats all. I remember when i was your age and also feared death for many yrs then I started nursing and had to deal with DEATH and ppl dying on a daily basis as I worked in pallative care.... It opened my eyes seeing ppl that had passed then I was able to accept death and will never fear it again. Dont think I'm having a go at you its just the opposite. If you ever need to talk PM me anytime ok..... Take Care. :-)

I feel the same I m scared of death to death

I think about it constantly I try to picture how it takes place what happens next and where do we end up
    I m a religious person and I don't believe in reincarnation ( my therapist thinks so)
    I believe when you re gone you re gone
    I believe that death is a necessary procedure to cross to the other world which is eternal and better
    I think the scariest part is the uncertainty of where we re going to end up hell or paradise
    My therapist explained it this way you re scared of death and the future because I don't know what it s going to bring
    Because my anxiety levels are above the normal so I m seeking reassurance all the time
    I want to know that I m healthy I m not gonna get ill I m fine etc
    But when it comes to death no one knows no one can reassure you about what's gonna happen because no one came back from there
    This is what I believe this life is like a test
    So imagine you re going for your exams
    Before that you re going to spend some time in revising and doing your work
    And then you go for the exam you do you best and wait for the results which will define where you re going to end up
    It s either you succeed or fail
    So as long as you re in this life you can repent and rectify your mistakes so you stand a chance to pass and make it to paradise
    But once you are dead then it s too late for you

Quote Originally Posted by scared44 View Post
    Hey now come on your 23yrs old and have your WHOLE life ahead of you! Why do you fear death so much? Were all going to die oneday we just don't know when thats all. I remember when i was your age and also feared death for many yrs then I started nursing and had to deal with DEATH and ppl dying on a daily basis as I worked in pallative care.... It opened my eyes seeing ppl that had passed then I was able to accept death and will never fear it again. Dont think I'm having a go at you its just the opposite. If you ever need to talk PM me anytime ok..... Take Care. :-)
    I never feared it before. All of a sudden it just bothers me. I don't know. Hopefully it will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C View Post
    I feel the same I m scared of death to death

I think about it constantly I try to picture how it takes place what happens next and where do we end up
    I m a religious person and I don't believe in reincarnation ( my therapist thinks so)
    I believe when you re gone you re gone
    I believe that death is a necessary procedure to cross to the other world which is eternal and better
    I think the scariest part is the uncertainty of where we re going to end up hell or paradise
    My therapist explained it this way you re scared of death and the future because I don't know what it s going to bring
    Because my anxiety levels are above the normal so I m seeking reassurance all the time
    I want to know that I m healthy I m not gonna get ill I m fine etc
    But when it comes to death no one knows no one can reassure you about what's gonna happen because no one came back from there
    This is what I believe this life is like a test
    So imagine you re going for your exams
    Before that you re going to spend some time in revising and doing your work
    And then you go for the exam you do you best and wait for the results which will define where you re going to end up
    It s either you succeed or fail
    So as long as you re in this life you can repent and rectify your mistakes so you stand a chance to pass and make it to paradise
    But once you are dead then it s too late for you
    I really hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJosiah View Post
    I'm sorry i can't relate to what your feeling as I am a Christian, but maybe I can give you a perspective to look at. I don't want to come across as forcing my beliefs on you, but I feel it is my responsibility to try to help in any way i can. I know some people have a hard time with "religion" and accepting it. I know alot of people are put off by religion, but I choose not to look at it as religion. I look at it as truth. No "denomination" or categorizing, just truth. It is a complete reality to me. Not only reality but also hope. Without it I would be lost with absolutely no sense of direction in my life. I probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for my belief in God. I know I have problems in life, but I believe life isn't supposed to be easy. I believe God put us here to help one another and through one another we can overcome our trials. I put my faith in God and try to do good through him, and that is the only thing that can bring happiness to my life. I'm in a bit of a deep spot in my life, but I come here to these forums because I know that people with the same problems or people who have overcome these obstacles can help each other. Humanity depends on it and i believe it wouldn't be possible without God. The very sense of moral responsibility is enough for me to believe that God is in control. Without our moral responsibility I believe we would live like animals with nothing more than living on instinct.

Through writing this I have realized that I have been slipping in faith, which directly results in why I am where I am in my life. In a way you have helped me believe it or not, because I realize I am only at my happiest when I am close to God. I have drifted and It has made me fear life more than anything. I believe that hope in eternal life is the only answer to living a fully happy life. Great thing about life is we all have free will, so i can choose to believe in what I believe. You have a choice to believe in eternal oblivion or eternal life. I know we all have influences that sway us one way or another, but ultimately it is you who chooses what you believe and what makes you happy. I hope this has helped in one way or another, and I thank you for helping me.
    I have nothing against religion. In fact I hope I'm wrong.

LOL You are obviously been brainwashed by religion nonsense like many others. When you die, the matter which your body is composed of will be reclaimed by nature and mother nature will use it to build other objects. Some part of you will go to soil, some part of you will become plant matter. some animals( including humans) etc etc. The matter which you are composed of is absolutely INDESTRUCTIBLE. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed. Your body can be scattered into tiny pieces but cannot be DESTROYED.The heaven,hell,oblivions are all nonsense propounded by wishful religious people.

Quote Originally Posted by acetone View Post
    LOL You are obviously been brainwashed by religion nonsense like many others. When you die, the matter which your body is composed of will be reclaimed by nature and mother nature will use it to build other objects. Some part of you will go to soil, some part of you will become plant matter. some animals( including humans) etc etc. The matter which you are composed of is absolutely INDESTRUCTIBLE. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed. Your body can be scattered into tiny pieces but cannot be DESTROYED.The heaven,hell,oblivions are all nonsense propounded by wishful religious people.
    That's what I realistically believe. I'm just saying I want to preserve my memories. Or I hope it's wrong. But I doubt it.

Memories are also finished when we die. Maintaining memories is a function of brain. Brain finished memories finished.

Quote Originally Posted by forwells View Post
    Heres a question for you then . Every cell in the body is replaced within 7 years i think . So where are the early memories come from?

I am not religious in the least. In fact i think religion has a lot to answer for. But i do have a strong faith .

The two are not the same.
    Easy. The arrangement of matter remains more or less the same. The building blocks change. The arrangement (of neurons or whatever) causes the memory. Your faith is in what?