Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Xanax and Anxiety/Panic

Hello, just have a question regarding Xanax.

About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with Anxiety & Panic disorder. After a few months of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy I was cured.. This lasted for 7 years with zero anxiety. However in the last year due to the loss of a relative as well as other things my brain decided to surprise me with a long forgotten friend which was my Panic Attacks.. I managed to control it with what I was taught.. However the anxiety seems to have returned and snowballed in the last year..

Lately I have horrible Panic attacks and really bad Anxiety. However this time it seems like it has returned even worse than before. I saw the local GP and psych department that we have at work. The dr has prescribed me Xanax .5mg to help me with sleep and calm me down.. This is just to help me relax for now until I start with the CBT again which I know will help me again..

NOW my question is, can I just take half or even a quater of it to begin with just to see what the effects are on me. I dont want to put anything inside me that im fearful of will cause me to have an anxiety attack.. Trust me Im the sort of person that give myself a panic attack from taking antibiotics out of fear it will give me anxiety attacks lol

My problem with anxiety and panic is my fear of losing control over my ability to control the anxiety/panic when it occurs. My anxiety manifests itself in the form of dizziness, palpitations, clumsiness and my mind freezes..

Any help or Advice regarding the Xanax would be great..

Thank you

Xanax will not likely cause anxiety rather it kills it pretty effectively. It's potent so use only when really needed. I've never heard of xanax increasing anxiety like an ssri might. Alankay

Alan nailed it, however when I was first prescribed Xanax I was scared to try it, initially when I decided to try my first one I was nervous and actually wound up having a panic attack for around a minute, then it kicked in an it felt goooooood. Just relax and take it man, it's going to help no doubt unless you're all worried about it.

Yes I used to get scared to take Xanax but like you for 7 yrs I didn't have the panic but it came back 7 mos ago in vengeance. Like you I get dizzy and nauseus and anxious.

The Xanax relaxes you. My doctor prescribed me .5 mil but I cut it into 4 and I only take it as needed and it help and not as drowsy.

Xanax seemed to help me a first, did nothing for the physical symptoms...but helped take the edge off. Now it does nothing and I feel like things are getting worse, I'm having 1-2 panic attacks per day and I'm constantly lightheaded, feel like I'll pass out randomly, legs always feel like jelly etc..

I would look towards something natural, try herbal teas(no caffein), belly breathing, go to the gym..etc.

I was prescribed Xanax and it worked wonders. But I was in a deep depression and didn't think twice about taking it 3 times a day. Be careful though because I think I became addicted one night I was rushed to the hospital because I overdosed. Just be careful. I'm no longer on it and I'm taking Prozac and feeling 1000x better with my depression and me anxiety is gone!