Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

My social anxiety has turned me into a hermit crab :(

I just wish I could be a normal 17 year old. I don't like to do much, or go out. People in general just scare me. I don't get into sports, clubs, or anything social because of my anxiety... I feel like everywhere I go, everyone's judging me. I hate that. I don't like hanging out with friends. And when people talk to me I get so nervous I don't even know what to say. I had a job at a grocery store, and quit after a few months because employment at a grocery store is a social phobia's worst night mare... You constantly have to talk to people, and that's one thing I can't do. Everyone's so mean, and my boss would always make me use the intercom to communicate, and I would stuttered so badly, and my face would get blood red. The other girls I worked with would always laugh at me because I can't handle social situations. I can't even count how many times I drove home crying from work. I think I have anxiety because I have to deal with difficult people in my life. I would really like to know what the best treatment could be???? I don't really want to go straight to medication if I could just use therapy?????

I am pretty much going though exactly that! It's horrible and sorry you have to deal with that!
    What i did was i started going to therapy and my therapist had me in a few times and then he came to the conclusion that i begin on meds because they would bring down my anxiety levels and mixed with therapy it is supposedly to help a great deal!

I have yet to see if it works for me or not but you have a choice and if just therapy doesn't work for you and you don't want to go on meds still there are other things that you could do to help, the internet has many idea's. Some of them might work for you! Meds are still an option and you can come off them if they really don't agree with you.

I hope you figure it out soon! (:

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie View Post
    I am pretty much going though exactly that! It's horrible and sorry you have to deal with that!
    What i did was i started going to therapy and my therapist had me in a few times and then he came to the conclusion that i begin on meds because they would bring down my anxiety levels and mixed with therapy it is supposedly to help a great deal!

I have yet to see if it works for me or not but you have a choice and if just therapy doesn't work for you and you don't want to go on meds still there are other things that you could do to help, the internet has many idea's. Some of them might work for you! Meds are still an option and you can come off them if they really don't agree with you.

I hope you figure it out soon! (:
    Thank you for the advice It's nice to know your not alone.

Meds are an option, as Kellie said, although I think tackling the root cause directly is the best way to go. Meds form a kind of protective umbrella over the anxiety but do not get rid of it deep down. The anxiety would just come back later.

As I found, being someone who once had severe anxiety, self-therapy is often the best way to go. Of course you'll need to find a particular technique that will suit your personality and your social phobia. If you can harness the power of your own brain to deal with anxiety then you can achieve some remarkable results. Then you won't need meds or long expensive therapies.

You can overcome your social phobia, just remember that. No matter how bad it feels now, you can improve your relaxation levels more than you can imagine.
    Visit outsmartanxiety.com to read my anxiety story.

Amber......I had the same thought process as you! Always thought I can do this alone , because I'm a strong man! I was wrong! It's been a battle for years now, this last battle has been the worst, I thought I was going to have a nervous break down...I'm still not out of this mess either.This stuff is powerful ! Our brains chemicals have been altered for some reason......stress, heartache, etc.... My psychiatrist told me that I couldn't see a psychologist until my levels of stress and anxiety had come down to a somewhat manageable level....then the process of finding out what causes our feelings is easier to do. I hope that you will consider meds or at least seek help of some kind......You're definitely not alone on this one! Take Care!