Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

has anyone taken Alprazolam?

HI, I was wondering if anyone here has ever taken alprazolam? My doctor prescribed it to me for when I am feeling extra anxious and I am a little nervous about taking it. I don't like medication that makes me feel like im not myself. So if anyone has used this, please let me know what you thought of it. Could you still function like normal or did it make you feel like a zombie? Thanks

Alprazolam is just Xanax. And from what I have seen, plenty of people here have taken it. As for not 'feeling like yourself' if you take it, you probably won't feel like yourself. It is, after all, a drug. I have never taken Xanax. But I did take the very similar Ativan for sleep. And I did feel like I was on something (it kind of felt like alcohol). But this didn't matter, as I just fell asleep anyway. On the other hand, it would not hurt to try it. Unlike SSRIs, this is an 'as-needed' med rather than a full-time med. So even if it DOES make you feel 'off', you won't feel like this ALL the time. In addition, you can just stop it if you don't like it. Unlike SSRIs, there is no 2-4 week waiting period with REALLY bad side effects before you know whether you like what it does for you (only to THEN have to deal with withdrawal if you DON'T like it and decide to stop). So you will know pretty much right away if you want to deal with this on or not. Also, compared to SSRIs, the side effect profile is generally more tolerable to most.

On the other hand, do try to take it only when you need it. Not only is dependence possible. But just masking anxiety with meds can actually hamper recovery.

I have been taking Xanax for a very long time. I take Alprazolam which is just the generic Xanax now for many years. Depending on the dose your doctor gave you will really determine how you will feel. When I first started taking it, it just took the edge off. I only took .25mg when needed. I now take .50mg 3 times a day. The best way I can describe the feeling is that it gives you that calm like after you had a beer. That is if you drink and understand what I am talking about, If you take higher amounts though it could make you really loopy. I haven't taken an extra dose then what I am supposed to in probably 10 years and when I did I basically went to sleep. Everyone is different though.

Xanax is highly addictive to your system if taken regularly both physically and mentally. Xanax works fast(10-20 minutes for me) but it generally only lasts 4-6 hours at least it does for me but my system is probably much more tolerant since I have been on it so long.