Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Lexapro insomnia??

Hi glad to be here, I'm new. I started lexapro 7 weeks ago..10 mg gave me awful stomach probs, so cut back to 3/4 of a pill (7.5mg?). Well not so much at first , but I have slowly become a tortured insomniac! I thought lexapro was supposed to make you tired (said side effect) so I took it at night...then I read about the insomnia so switched to morning--also at the same time approx, I started adderall, 50 mg a day all taken befor 1:00pm...so I thought the insomnia was from that--but even when I tried cutting down the add, even not taking it, I still have the insomnia! I will go to bed tired about 11 after some melatonin, or these weak little doxapins, but I am up as early as 2:30 sometimes and cannot go back to sleep!! I even had some leftover ambien and tried those--well each ambien bought me about 2 hours of sleep! one ambien should knock me out for 8 hrs!! I'm at a loss, I punch into work at 8:15--but even on weekends, I cant sleep in!! SO--I didnt take my lexapro thismorning, and will see if I sleep tonite...any advise or insight would be appreciated, sleep deprivation is more depressing than my original depression!! Thank You!!!

Trying to get me sleeping, as even when well I am not good at sleeping, was one of the first things my psychiatrist did when I got this bout of depression. He put me on promethezine as an anti hystemine so would not get addicted to them like some of my other tablets.
    But every time I try a new anti depressant in last 2 years or a new hormone etc, my sleep pattern goes out the window. I usually have a couple of bad nights and then a couple of good ones.
    Tonight fell asleep by 10 pm on settee, but went to bed and never got off to sleep properly not even with trying meditation CDs. So up at 1.30 am. Might nap later as up so early, but not always.
    When not off sick and back to work it is a real struggle to work full time on little or no sleep.
    If you are having problems I would go back and talk to Dr or psychiatrist about your tablets. My psychiatrist adjusted mine recently because my new anti depressant when I doubled the dose when taken at bedtime as supposed to, it did not help me sleep at night, but the next day I couldn't stay awake. So now I take one at 8 pm and one at 10 pm so their effect does not bother me the next day. But they have messed up my sleeping tablets - tried to cut down to none and din't work, now on 1 instead of 2 but, as said, only works some nights.
    Although just had two knee operations and they get so stiff led in bed that they do not help with my sleep, or actually trying to stay in bed as ache so badly you feel like you have to get up.

Hi PMkroozer,
    Create your sleeping schedule, avoid taking naps in day timing and do not over sleep. Workout regularly and prefer early morning workouts. Make sure the bed, pillow and room temperature are comfortable and have your bedroom dark and quiet. Do not read or use computer in bed and wait until you are sleepy before going to bed.
    Last edited by Sloaine; 10-26-2013 at 03:19 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Atkinson Chiropractic
    15 Commerce Drive #108 Grayslake, IL 60030 (847)-223-3158

I take 40mg of Lexapro daily and it makes me tired, I can sleep 12 hours a day before I can't sleep anymore, too bad I have work!