Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Pexeva/Paxil

Pexeva/Paxil

My doctor prescribed me with a Paxil knock off (same active ingriedients) called Pexeva about a year ago. When I asked if it had any addictive qualities, he basically went "Pffft, no".

Now, technically this is correct. But he never mentioned the withdrawl effects. Granted, I wouldn't have gone through withdrawl if I hadn't run out of meds and been 6 hours away and unable to return to get another prescription. In any case, even though the meds helped me 100% as soon as they wore off I was crying constantly, constantly anxious, I had no appetite and I felt nauseas, Oh, and I was sleeping 20 hours a day. It only lasted for a week or two, and my parents were able to get me more and send them to me, but... I wish he would have MENTIONED this. Apparantly Paxil is notorious for withdrawl effects.

All that being said: medication has helped me immensly, and I would recommend it to others.

One question I have though: How do doctors decide what dosage to prescribe? My doctor seemed to just pick one, and run with it. And then was suprised when I had horrible side effects untill we reduced the dossage.

After taking Xanax daily for 15 years, and not making any progress, I agreed to try Paxil. Wow..I should have done that years ago, I haven't had a panic attack in 3 years and am relatively anxiety free. I do wonder if I am taking too much of it, and will try to reduce once I master this CBT stuff.

Kicking Xanax was the toughest thing I have ever done in my life. I tried it cold turkey....what a fool I was.