Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dooges
    Hi there , new user here.

I sometimes come into these forums on anxiety to remind myself of the dark place I was in a couple of years ago.. My anxiety was over the top but for some reason I never gave into the fact that I might need meds to control. My reasoning? If my mind got me here my mind can get me out of here. Yes I had a little help from a psych ( about 6 visits ) but mostly I got through it myself... Med free... And so can you!,!,!

The biggest thing for me was a health anxiety bought on by a bad work situation which manifested itself as anxiety leading to actual physical symptoms bought on by that anxiety... The more symptoms I got the more worried and anxious I became leading to more symptoms.. One big huge revolving beast...

Lorenz is correct in what she states" you have to face up to it" 26 years is a long time to be looking at it but have you actually faced it?

Go on do it now.... and when you do actually ask yourself what actual harm has it done to you physically?

When I did this I found one thing....... I lost to much weight... As a result of my body being so strung out all the time the anxiety was using up so much inner energy..

I had so many symptoms, Heart pulps, muscle twitching everywhere, cold feet, headaches my god I could go on and on.. All I might add I was tested for and nothing even remotely serious came of any of them..

So I faced it... Looked at it for what it was.. A flawed thought process. You know at this point I couldn't even walk down a set of stairs without holding the hand rail. True.

So this is what I did to help myself..

I laughed at it.. Yep laughed at it... When ever I started getting the anxiety feeling I laughed at myself and said " good on you brain here it comes again" and I knew for the next few hours or days sometimes I would get that fast heart ( which is from the adrenalin you generate from the anxiety ) or what ever else it would throw at me but I kept laughing at it.

Gee that sounds strange doesn't it. Hard to do but doesn't do you any harm in itself. In actual fact it gets a lot easier pretty quickly.

So after 2-3 weeks my anxiety attacks got less frequent and weren't as prolonged.. 2 years later I can't even remember the web sites I used to visit and sit on for hours a day looking for a cure.

I still worry about my health more than the average person. But the one little thing my psych told me to do was to to worry about anything for 2 weeks after I noticed a new symptom. Just let it be and laugh hit off as another anxiety symptom. If it's still there after this period then see a doctor but keep putting it down to anxiety until the dr tells you otherwise.

Oh another thing. DO NOT DIAGNOSE YOURSELF USING GOOGLE! The single most worst thing you can do. It just feeds your anxiety in the worst possible way.

I'll mention two other things.

The idea of laughing at my anxiety came from a book called "The Happiness Trap" yellow cover with a smiley face on it. I read it and embraced it.

Secondly, watch a documentary called "Food Matters" there is a very interesting little part in there on how natural medicines can help with some mental health issues.
    ( did you know that anxiety uses up vast amounts of vitamin c. And that niacin ( vitamin B3 ) can have a huge positive effect on depression. No? Didn't think so because the big drug companies don't want you thinking that. No money in it).

Happy to take questions on my badly written post.. Sorry, it's late and I'm on my iPad.

Face it

Dooges
    Hi Ive tried everything imanigable over the last 26yrs and NOTHING works for me anymore!! Im on meds but I have an ileostomy/ bag as I lost my bowel 10yrs ago and because of having a bag I dont absorb tablets?? The only thing that works on me is an injection which I cant have. Thx for your kind advice......but I give up :-( Beverley

Quote Originally Posted by scared44

Hi Ive tried everything imanigable over the last 26yrs and NOTHING works for me anymore!! Im on meds but I have an ileostomy/ bag as I lost my bowel 10yrs ago and because of having a bag I dont absorb tablets?? The only thing that works on me is an injection which I cant have. Thx for your kind advice......but I give up :-( Beverley
    P.S. Ive never googled any symptoms because I know what anxiety can do to your mind and body.
    Thx again for your kind support ;-)

Thanks Dooges, I found your response of great encouragement and good advice. Not sure can laugh at moment head so love, but worth trying if I can.

Reply went wrong meant head so wrong not love! (Getting used to using tablet and should have checked before sent!)

my head is like that to all the time not sure what its down to maybe depression anxiety tirdness i just hope it dont explode its so uncomftable

I know what you mean, when my head is bad I feel like my head is going to explode - at that point none of the distraction techniques or strategies will work, I just cry and shout.

i find that too, i always take it out on teh people close to me though, i dont mean to but they just dont understand

Yes, I know, I give my husband a terrible home life. In the summer he had to shut the windows I screamed so loud. I have only got him since the rest of my family don't understand at all. I could never show my friends who help me how bad I really get. - they would never see me as a friend in the same way when I eventually get better.

Emzii I have accepted buddy request I think, but not had one before and new to this, so please not take offence if I don't reply anytime etc, it will be because I don't know what to do!

you never kinow they might surprise you, if there a TRUE friend they'll stand by you no matter what..