Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: WTF was that?

WTF was that?

First of all, I forgot to take any medication yesterday. I have been back at work from a five week break and have been taking my regular anti depressants and 2 x1/4 Valium (5mg) each day to ease the morning/public speaking anxiety and to get to sleep at a reasonable time each night. I forgot to take both yesterday in my Ryan to he t ready.

I went to a festival yesterday (incidentally only the second time in 11 years I haven't taken recreational drugs at this particular show). It was amazing! I saw RHCP and during Scar Tissue I felt so freaking happy, I thought my heart would burst - in a good way!! I did drink a couple of beers and a tequila mixer, but had an amazing time. I was on a natural high.

Anyway. I did take 1/4 Valium before I went to bed and I experienced the strangest feeling ever. It was like a cross between sleep paralysis and a panic attack and the only other thing I can relate it to is Zoloft withdrawal which I experienced many many years ago when I came off sertraline.

I think I was asleep, but I felt fully conscious. I know I was on my bed, in my pjs, my kitty was sleeping on my head. I know my partner was playing COD next to me - he was. I kept getting this horrible sensation when I would exhale, I would have this electric feeling tremor which would start my heart pounding very strong and fast. This kept happening (10 times or so). I tried to roll over to tell my partner I felt bad and I couldn't move or speak! My body wasn't responding and I was terrified.

I feel fine this morning and have taken my ADs, but was wondering if anyone else hd experienced anything like this? It was terrifying and truly weird.

That does sound scary. I used to suffer from sleep paralysis allllll the time. It terrified me at first, but now I know I just need to go back to sleep & when I wake up again I'll be fine. It sent me into such a panic the first time though.

Have you ever experienced it before last night?

The only thing I can think of is that it might have been due a mixture of tiredness / excitement / alcohol / diazepam. Things have a weird way of messing with our minds & bodies.

Are you feeling okay now though?

I've experienced this before and studied it! What I've read on it it's basically when your brain wakes you up but your brain isn't totally all the way on yet! It can't harm you, and most of the time caused by stress!
    But it does scare the crap out of me when it happens!

I'm feeling pretty good today. Got a nice sleep in and have no hangover - I drank a ton of water yesterday too!

I get sleep paralysis regularly, maybe 1-2 times a month that I can remember. It's just never accompanied by the vibrating feeling and the sheer panic. Plus the absolute awareness of what was going on around me - seeing/hearing my partner play COD, noting the cat sleeping on my head, right down to the location of our bed (currently in the lounge because it has been really hot and this is where the air con is!)

Incidentally, I often have sleep jerks (piss off, Dazza!!), the kind that slam you awake just as you are drifting off, that are occasionally accompanied by the buzzing, vibrating feeling, but they last about 5 seconds and wake me right up to consciousness. This was coming on in waves. It was the strangest sensation!?

It probably was a combination of a big day, alcohol and Valium (although I have a beer most days in summer) and possibly the fact I had a late night coffee as well - I got a take out one on the way home.

Thanks for your input guys - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by laurandisorder View Post
    I'm feeling pretty good today. Got a nice sleep in and have no hangover - I drank a ton of water yesterday too!

I get sleep paralysis regularly, maybe 1-2 times a month that I can remember. It's just never accompanied by the vibrating feeling and the sheer panic. Plus the absolute awareness of what was going on around me - seeing/hearing my partner play COD, noting the cat sleeping on my head, right down to the location of our bed (currently in the lounge because it has been really hot and this is where the air con is!)

Incidentally, I often have sleep jerks (piss off, Dazza!!), the kind that slam you awake just as you are drifting off, that are occasionally accompanied by the buzzing, vibrating feeling, but they last about 5 seconds and wake me right up to consciousness. This was coming on in waves. It was the strangest sensation!?

It probably was a combination of a big day, alcohol and Valium (although I have a beer most days in summer) and possibly the fact I had a late night coffee as well - I got a take out one on the way home.

Thanks for your input guys - much appreciated!
    I made a post not too long ago about that happening to me while drifting off. I always jerk up and my heart feels like it is pounding, but when I feel my pulse it's normal. Just beating hard like I'm scared and I just sit there a second and lay back down.

This use to happen to me ALL the time. It's so weird feeling. I haven't had it happen in a long time though.

This happens to me every night lately and it's very scary... Feeling like I'm going to die

Quote Originally Posted by scared44
    This happens to me every night lately and it's very scary... Feeling like I'm going to die
    Nothing like a good ol jerk in bed ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dazza

Nothing like a good ol jerk in bed ;-)
    You got that right!!!
    BIG SAL

I get sleep paralysis a LOT, it's not pretty, scares the crap out of me, and to be honest you never get used to it (atleast I couldn't get used to it yet) , it still happens once in a while and it terrifies me (happened yesterday as well) .