Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline

Im glad that you got along with her. That should ease things.
    Yeah. I'm just coming to the end of week 2 on 50mg. I've been on 5 types of medication now & not found one that works so far kind of losing hope.

hi just come back from docs as i am now at my lowest ebb been bad for a year but over thae last month gone right down hill my partner called docs this morning and got me an appt as i have tried so many meds over the year the side effects just do me in so ive tried and tried to get over my anxiety with out also had cbt which helped while i was having sessions now its stopped ive lost the plot so i went to my doc and just broke down he`s not the best of docs and doesnt have a lot of time for people with anxiety which made me feel even worse any way after five mins i came out with no choice as he advise me than to take some kind of meds so i am on 40MG of propanolol FOUR TIMES A DAY for a week then i must start 50MG of sertraline once a day ive taken a propranolol and it ok bit spaced out not sure about another three though ive just read all your blogs regarding sertraline and on the whole it sounds like it is ok so i must try and ride the side effects and continue to take them i do tend to bin my meds as soon as i get a bad side effect as i get in to a total panic so its time to ride through th rough!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear you guys both struggling..Its a shame that it hasnt eased off the anxiety..It does take time..You shouldn't bin the meds if you feel side effects..you should ease off them slowly, if you want to stop them Pindi..The best thing that helps me is to watch films, or do something that distracts me from thinking of the side effects non stop..I'm also feeling worse now that i've upped my dose to 50mg from 1 week on 25mg...I'm feeling quite low and a little anxious, but that's only because I have no job where I live, no friends close by ( I live in Cornwall - my friends and family are in London or Greece) and I only have my boyfriend here, which is great but its the first time in my life i've had to rely on 1 person so much..Its all a bit scary..I have faith that the tablets will eventually help..Tablets dont usually make all symptoms go away..but they make things easier and take the edge off..they are supposed to stop you feeling 'overwhelmed'.. I felt better after 1 month of being on tablets..but also having therapy alongside it really helps as well,so you have support..I would say if you can keep some money aside from your income to find someone to talk to..The NHS does take forever unfortunately..I am paying £45 for 2 fortnightly sessions with the lady I found..I don't have any money, but borrowing some as its my health, and our health is very important.. I'm going to start next week..Check out the british association for counselling and psychotherapy..(BACP) on the internet..We have to keep strong..

I took Zoloft many years ago when I was first diagnosed with depression. I worked up to the maximum dose and stuck to it for a couple of years before it stopped working for me.

I had very few side effects from it, mainly the buzzing electric feeling when it was time to withdraw or if I forgot to take my medication.

It's often prescribed first because of its very few side effects, however I think it is probably a better medication for depression, rather than anxiety as it is quite stimulating and can affect your sleep patterns and the like.

It's an effective and proven antidepressant and should really help you if you have problems with motivation and getting out of the house. Monitor any weird side effects and don't be afraid to tell your doctor if you feel it isn't working for you after a few months. Everyone is different. I tried Zoloft, Effexor and Lexapro before I started on my current medication, an NRI called Edronax, which I have been on for the past 7 years now.

hi thanks for replying its great that there are people who care and yes we do have to be strong for sure. well its my second day on propranolol and ive only managed to take two yester day and so far two today they are bloody strong and ive been out of it most of the two days i think the doc just wants me to shut down for a couple of weeks as my mind is so busy but when i do have my quiet times thats frightening so trying my best to get used to it. i do know what you mean by relying on just one person Missath my partner has been great i dont know what i would of done with out here i also have no family my parents are dead and im an only child and my best mate lives a hundred miles away i do ring her some times when im in complete panic. i bought a puzzle book yesterday and an trying my upmost to concentrate on the puzzles inside. thanks both for your advice and i hope things inprove for all of us cause im kackered. lol!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by temperancebrennan View Post
    I've only been on Sertraline 50mg for 1 week. I've not had any side effects really. My anxiety attacks are the same as they always have been, I just hope this works to settle them down. I have to go back to my doctors after 3 weeks for a check up to see how they're working.

With the sleeplessness, do you use any sleep aids?

How did you feel for the 2 years that you were off it?
    Try melatonin 1mg or 3 mg as needed for sleep its natural sleep aid and will work fine with sertraline ..
    Would u try's lexapro ?? Sertraline did not work for my GAD I wish it works for u

I used lexapro (Escitalopram) for a year or so but didn't find it worked very well for me personally. I was then put on Clomipromine & Supiride as well as Escitalopram, which made me constantly tired.

I've had my Sertraline increased to 100mg now by my GP. I wonder if a higher dose will work.

Quote Originally Posted by temperancebrennan View Post
    I used lexapro (Escitalopram) for a year or so but didn't find it worked very well for me personally. I was then put on Clomipromine & Supiride as well as Escitalopram, which made me constantly tired.

I've had my Sertraline increased to 100mg now by my GP. I wonder if a higher dose will work.
    I take escitalopram 15 as well .. Only 2 month ago ... Feeling some improvement so far .
    Wish I go back to normal

well ive taken my first sertraline and the propanolol to subside the effects i spose im getting braver as two weeks ago there is no way i would take meds afterthe bad experiences ive had on various meds so i feel like a baby taken my first steps the only panic at the mo is im on my own my friend lives around the corner if i do get bad heres hoping all goes well.

Just keep thinking..'I will be fine, its just the medication doing its thing'..I'm telling myself the same thing..I don't feel like I am on any medication, yet I haven't felt the need to cry at all which is good..Its only been 5 days since I upped my dose to 50mg of setraline from 25mg..Still get headaches and slight dizzyness when I stand up too fast..