Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Inderal - Beta Blocker

My Dr prescribed me 10mg of Inderal to take three times a day. I'm kind of scared to take this as it directly affects your heart and I am usually worrying about my heart, whether it's beating too fast or too slow. If this medication slows my heart down it could send me into a panic because I will probably think I'm dying, also, I'm always scared of what reaction I might have too new medication. Is this safe to take with Benzo's? I'm on 15mg Oxazepam when needed, also I'm thinking of starting to take Lexapro 10mg again and steadily increase it to 20mg like my psychiatrist has suggested. Has anyone used a beta blocker along with another medication? SRRI or otherwise? What side effects should I expect while taking this med, will it make my heart beat noticeablly slower? What will happen when I do panic, wouldn't this put strain on my heart? Greatful for all responses, thankyou x

SSRI** whoops

Banned
    I take a beta blocker. I was scared too. But I like it now. I cut mine in half. He said I could. They make me a bit tired and a whole one made me feel slightly depressed. So that's why I cut it up. I would always get fast heart rate during the day. Just getting up off the couch or the slightest bit of worry. Now I don't. If I have a panic attack it will get a bit fast just like if your working out but not as fast as it used to. It also blocks your aderelinen. So your not a nervous e. and I do take a benzo if needed with mine. Doctor said that's fine. I don't take any ssri due to that I have bad reactions to all I have tried.

10 mgs of propranolol will not change much with respect to pulse and yes it can be taken with a benzo. I'd start the ssri as well. It will take time but should help. ALankay

I've also been given beta blockers but haven't started taking them as I was also worried about it slowing my heart rate. Ideally I want to try and get through this without taking medication and I don't want to end up being on them for ever. I worry if I start taking them I will get anxious about coming off them

I agree Anna I think no meds is 100% the way too go but my anxiety had just gotten at a level I can't really manage on my own anymore, I will be taking 3 10mg doses a day so a total of 30mg Alan. Anna - I have experienced some problems with medication and coming off/going on. I know get muscle twitches which I'm accredting to the Zyprexa I was taking. I stoped my meds comletely a few months ago (Bad idea I know) and my symtoms came back ten fold. Im happy sticking to my Alepam 15mg when needed for now. Maybe we can keep each other up to date on the beta blocker scenario? All the best x

Please let us know how you go. I am very interested in taking some kind of beta blocker for my extremely rapid heart rate.

Even resting my heart rate is rarely below 90BPM and when I'm anxious or nervous - which is a lot of the time - it skyrockets. I have even started having problems when exercising - even just power walking and breaking a light sweat I can go up to 160BPM which spirals into other symptoms.

I am currently taking an NRI antidepressant (I think?) and 2.5mg of Valium, which I'm going to taper down soon.

I'd be really interested to see how you go.

I will definatley keep you posted I should be getting the script out in the next few weeks. I feel your pain! As soon as I get up from sitting down my heart starts racing, showers are an absolute nightmare, I walk up the steps and I could've sworn I'd run a marathon. Even waking up in the mornings lately has set me off. I'm taking Oxazepam 15mg as needed and I'm planning on starting Lexapro again soon. But yes I will definatley keep you in mind! Keep safe x

I just got a Beta Blocker today and like some of you am scared to take it not scared of lowering my BPM which I DO need but scared its gonna do something wrong. I have a constant high heart rate and a lot of the time I go to lay down to sleep it goes up for no reason and I cant rest

Hello, thought I would update you on where I am up to. So I started taking my beta blockers and initially they helped a lot but it seemed to me that after a few weeks the effect wore off or my body got used to it?! Went back to docs and she has given me some different tablets to take and I have begun having some cbt sessions with a counsellor. I'm still battling on but I do feel I have more good than bad days at the moment :-) hope you are all ok x