Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy Is it bad if medication like Xanax works?

Hello I am kind of new to this and my anxiety kind of freaked me out for like a month, but i prevailed and looked some things up and i realized that i don't have to live like this. I took some mental power to overcome this extreme fear of nothing by just training my brain to not perceive my anxiety as a threat. I am still kinda working on it. But god i remember feeling my anxiety from the moment i woke up until i closed my eyes and went to sleep and even then i would have weird dreams, not even nightmares but strange dreams. than i realized that dreams are weird anyway. the worst was in the morning when i didn't even feel real almost, and then my mind would run and take me to crazy places. but i stood strong and at one point my brothers friend had some pretty bad anxiety even worse than mine. And he gave me some of his medication, and it made me feel like a new man, no anxiety what so ever. but i fear that i would become dependent on this drug. So is it alright if this drug is the only thing that helps, my more random outbursts of anxiety?!

Xanax is definitely a godsend type drug for people (like it is for me) It is true that it is INCREDIBLY addictive, I was hooked the second or third time i tried it, and did one day foolishly take two pills (my Rx was one pill). It is completely alright that Xanax helps you, but if you're like me, and are prone to addictions (specifically drugs) then I would suggest you get someone to hold onto your bottle to prevent abuse.

I think it is more important to take a daily medication (Mine is Lexapro) which can take a VERY long time, and some drugs you must test may have worse effects. But Lexapro reduced my anxiety, fear and panic attacks by an enormous amount.

So a short answer to the title question: No. But you must be able to moderate it.

Getting Xanax, Klonopin or any other Benzo can either be a hit or a miss though, due to the people who misuse and sell it doctors are pretty weary about prescribing it. Some doctor I walked into gave me a prescription when I didn't even ask for it, while another wouldn't even give me any after I had multiple severe panic attacks in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankWolfe53
    Hello I am kind of new to this and my anxiety kind of freaked me out for like a month, but i prevailed and looked some things up and i realized that i don't have to live like this. I took some mental power to overcome this extreme fear of nothing by just training my brain to not perceive my anxiety as a threat. I am still kinda working on it. But god i remember feeling my anxiety from the moment i woke up until i closed my eyes and went to sleep and even then i would have weird dreams, not even nightmares but strange dreams. than i realized that dreams are weird anyway. the worst was in the morning when i didn't even feel real almost, and then my mind would run and take me to crazy places. but i stood strong and at one point my brothers friend had some pretty bad anxiety even worse than mine. And he gave me some of his medication, and it made me feel like a new man, no anxiety what so ever. but i fear that i would become dependent on this drug. So is it alright if this drug is the only thing that helps, my more random outbursts of anxiety?!
    If it was up to me I would get it prescribed. Just tell your Dr. That Xanax helps.
    BIG SAL

Prescriptions of such tranquilizers are solely intended for short term usage. If your gp prescribes a long term amount then i'd sincerely question his/her judgement. They are effective because they're fast acting and potent. Compared to SSRI's which certainly have mixed reactions to their effectiveness amongst both users and the scientific community. Drugs should always be paired with some form of therapy when it comes to anxiety or depression etc.

Ed

Thank you all for the replies, and I should go tell my doctor that it helps and raggamuffin, I agree. I will only take it if I can get into therapy sessions.