Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Trouble breathing at night with Lexapro?

I just got on the generic brand of Lexapro 5 days ago. I'm taking 5mg. I've been having a little trouble breathing at night. Kind of like a sleep apnea. I'm not hyperventilating, but it's a little bit of a breathing problem. I take my pill at around 6pm. I also had bad insomnia last night because of the breathing problem.
    I have panic disorder with agoraphobia.

I was just wondering if this is just one of the side effects and will it pass?

Hi, I'm on lexapro, I don't think that is a usual side effect, it sounds like increased anxiety. Lexapro can cause increased anxiety at the beginning, it passes. You could ask your doc for a valium or xanax to help you through the first 2 weeks of starting your meds. I take mine in the morning as another side effect is insomnia. You might sleep better if you take it in the morning. Lexapro can be fast acting for some so hang in there and go up to 10mg when u feel ready.

I had a similar experience when I first ramped up on lexapro too, it did take about two weeks to feel better. I recently went to 15 mg because I feel like I peaked out on 10.

Keep us posted.