Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    I've been trying Phenibut, L-Theanine and Aniracetam to help with my anxiety in the last few weeks. I can admit that the combination does seem to be helping, I was a little more social during the holidays than I normally am (used to spending it alone or away from family). And work seems to be improving as well since I'm not feeling quite as timid as I normally do when it comes to group meetings or speaking. I'm going to do a bit of looking into these other mentioned items and see if they will work well with what I'm currently taking.

Quote Originally Posted by ScatterShot View Post
    I've been trying Phenibut, L-Theanine and Aniracetam to help with my anxiety in the last few weeks. I can admit that the combination does seem to be helping, I was a little more social during the holidays than I normally am (used to spending it alone or away from family). And work seems to be improving as well since I'm not feeling quite as timid as I normally do when it comes to group meetings or speaking. I'm going to do a bit of looking into these other mentioned items and see if they will work well with what I'm currently taking.
    There is a new Magnesium supplement on the market that is supposed to be the only one or at least the best one to penetrate the blood-brain barrier called Magnesium L-Threonate. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but I purchased this to try it out and the one I have been using is by Jarrow Formulas called MindMag.

Hey Panic Cured!

Used your supplement list and over the course of a year my anxiety gradually healed up.

Have some more anxiety based on a stupid decision I made, so I am back at it.

I have some questions:

1. Why do you say not to take any B Vitamins or Calcium until the anxiety is 'under control'? I've been reading an anxiety workbook by Edmund Bourne, PhD and he recommends B-vitamins along with Calcium in his supplement section. He also mentions amino acids like L-Theanine as well as Passionflower so I don't see any reason to distrust his advice. Why do you say to wait until the anxiety is at manageable levels?

2. For Magnesium Glycinate you're telling me to take 150% of the RDA for my body type. Is this to build up storage? If so, how long should I be taking 150% RDA until I reduce down to 100% RDA?

3. Any clue what the "warning" is on ORAC Greens is for? It says not to take if nursing or pregnant. Has kind of freaked me out and kept me from taking it.

4. Any thoughts on fasting in relation to GAD and Panic Disorder? I have been trying to fast for religious purposes ever since my screw up and there are some times when it seems the fasting is making it worse. Some say it makes it worse. Some say fasting helps their anxiety. Very odd.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ahlstrom; 07-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    "And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life?" - Matthew 6:27

Sorry for the late response. I have not been on here in a while.

1. First off I am not a doctor nor do I have a PhD. But what I read and at the time, and believed was my experience, was that calcium and B Vitamins are too stimulating to the nervous system. In healthy people they are not, but I was so incredibly sensitive to anything, that I believed Vitamin B complex would trigger it. I have no proof of this, but this was what I believed at the time. My goal was to eliminate anything that can trigger my overly sensitive nervous system. I felt B Vitamins and Calcium supplements were in this group. Not in food, just in supplements. I have no proof of this, but this was what I believed during my panic era of my life. Calcium, there is debate if one should take it in supplement form or not, and some believe too much calcium can cause problems, in supplement form, not food form. You can research that if you want.

2. I don't put too much faith in gov't dietary requirements, that is me, you don't have to agree with me. But from what I read, Magnesium is very difficult to overdose on, as it doesn't just stay in the cells like calcium does. I took 400 mg to 800 mg per day of elemental magnesium. Now I take 300 mg a day in my Naturalo multivitamin, which I consider the best multivitamin on the market.

There is a new Magnesium supplement on the market that is supposed to be the only one or at least the best one to penetrate the blood-brain barrier called Magnesium L-Threonate, and this is the one I recommend now if you are going to take a magnesium supplement. But know this, magnesium can cause major diarrhea with the citrate version being the worst. L-Threonate and Glycinate seem to be less of this, but you will have to test it yourself and see how sensitive you are to it.

3. Just email the company and ask them. However in hindsight, I don't know if green drinks really matter for getting over anxiety. I think my main point was just to get as healthy as possible. There is debate now if cereal grass is healthy or not. At the time, I felt one scoop per day of high Orac Green drinks from Paradise Herbs or Amazing Grass were awesome. My personal opinion is they are still good. But you have to understand natural products in the US are forced to put warning labels on them.

4. I know nothing about fasting.

I'll tell you this though, supplements are just to supplement, not the cure in itself. The hard work is what you do to break those bad habits and anxiety cycles and slowly reset your brain and your mind. Read my posts about techniques to get past anxiety. Also, find a therapist that specializes in anxiety and panic disorder to help give you tools to work on. And remember, not getting anxious about anxiety is so important. That means, when you first feel the symptoms come on, don't get anxious about that, and allow it to ride out and fade away. This is not the only thing you need to do, but if you can master this single thing, you will see immense progress.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PanicCured View Post
    Sorry for the late response. I have not been on here in a while.

1. First off I am not a doctor nor do I have a PhD. But what I read and at the time, and believed was my experience, was that calcium and B Vitamins are too stimulating to the nervous system. In healthy people they are not, but I was so incredibly sensitive to anything, that I believed Vitamin B complex would trigger it. I have no proof of this, but this was what I believed at the time. My goal was to eliminate anything that can trigger my overly sensitive nervous system. I felt B Vitamins and Calcium supplements were in this group. Not in food, just in supplements. I have no proof of this, but this was what I believed during my panic era of my life. Calcium, there is debate if one should take it in supplement form or not, and some believe too much calcium can cause problems, in supplement form, not food form. You can research that if you want.

2. I don't put too much faith in gov't dietary requirements, that is me, you don't have to agree with me. But from what I read, Magnesium is very difficult to overdose on, as it doesn't just stay in the cells like calcium does. I took 400 mg to 800 mg per day of elemental magnesium. Now I take 300 mg a day in my Naturalo multivitamin, which I consider the best multivitamin on the market.

There is a new Magnesium supplement on the market that is supposed to be the only one or at least the best one to penetrate the blood-brain barrier called Magnesium L-Threonate, and this is the one I recommend now if you are going to take a magnesium supplement. But know this, magnesium can cause major diarrhea with the citrate version being the worst. L-Threonate and Glycinate seem to be less of this, but you will have to test it yourself and see how sensitive you are to it.

3. Just email the company and ask them. However in hindsight, I don't know if green drinks really matter for getting over anxiety. I think my main point was just to get as healthy as possible. There is debate now if cereal grass is healthy or not. At the time, I felt one scoop per day of high Orac Green drinks from Paradise Herbs or Amazing Grass were awesome. My personal opinion is they are still good. But you have to understand natural products in the US are forced to put warning labels on them.

4. I know nothing about fasting.

I'll tell you this though, supplements are just to supplement, not the cure in itself. The hard work is what you do to break those bad habits and anxiety cycles and slowly reset your brain and your mind. Read my posts about techniques to get past anxiety. Also, find a therapist that specializes in anxiety and panic disorder to help give you tools to work on. And remember, not getting anxious about anxiety is so important. That means, when you first feel the symptoms come on, don't get anxious about that, and allow it to ride out and fade away. This is not the only thing you need to do, but if you can master this single thing, you will see immense progress.

Good luck!
    Most of the illnesses we get are from lack of the necessary nutrients, thus the supplements. The food we consume nowadays is not enough to sustain good health, so it is really important for us to take supplements to fight vitamin deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCamille View Post
    Most of the illnesses we get are from lack of the necessary nutrients, thus the supplements. The food we consume nowadays is not enough to sustain good health, so it is really important for us to take supplements to fight vitamin deficiency.
    Good point. Just be aware our bodies are not made to process refined unnatural products and thus kidney issue often arise from long term supplement use. It can be quite chronic for a few and lead many into secondary complications. That said, it's the lesser of two evils.

There are diets out there such as juicing that can overcome the need for supplements. Soil depletion can be overcome by purchasing from local farms and buying real food is still a thing when no longer eating out of plastic of cardboard containers. Supplementation is as much an industry filled with disinformation campaigns liken to that of Big Pharma. Each to their own of course. Best to find the middle ground.
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-05-2020 at 07:28 PM.