Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

The Definitive Supplement Regimen to Help Cure Your Anxiety

After being my own lab rat, and taking everything I could get my hands own, I wanted to make a list of supplements that I feel anyone and everyone having anxiety or panic disorder should be taking. This isn't the only ones you can take, but I highly recommend you at least do these. I truly believe that these remedies not only can help keep you calm, but will actually help rebuild your over sensitive nervous system and help bring your body and brain chemistry back to balance. I hope this becomes a sticky at the top.

I use the word "Cured" a lot when I talk about overcoming anxiety and I do this on purpose. I want you to get used to the idea that you can be cured and not just maintained. You want to get to a level where you do not need to take anything! That is cured. Of course all humans have stress and a certain amount of anxiety occasionally can be normal. The problem is when you step into the realm of it being a disorder. We all know what this is without me having to explain it. I know you may think this may cost you a lot of money, but this can really make a difference. Think of how much the doctor costs you with all those tests and exams and without even a way to cure most people. And if your like I was, you have ambulance and ER visit expenses. These even cost you anywehre near that.

I do not make money or get any endorsements on any of these products. These are products that I used as part of my recovery and believe this to be of great importance in slowly healing you. I am posting links were you can buy these products, and again, I am not making any money off this. I tend to use iherb.com because over $40 its free shipping and their prices are almost always the cheapest. You do the steps to heal your mind, retrain your brain by creating new and better habits, and you need to also do the steps to heal your body, and supplements should be a part of that regimen. Doctors medication can get you functioning, but I have no faith in their drugs to actually offer any type of long term cure for anxiety.

Note: Some people believe in taking amino acids to help increase serotonin and acetyl choline and I did this too. To be honest, it was so long ago, I can't remember exactly what the regimen was. I'd advise you to research for natural ways to increase these 2 neurotransmitters. I will focus here mainly on herbs. I was taking Acetyl-N-Carnitine, Lipoic acid, Fish Oil, amino acid complex, glutamine, taurine, and some others. I don't know if it helped or not because I was doing and taking so many things, but it may have been part of my healing. I will let you do your own research on those. I don't feel that I can recommend those with confidence as their effects aren't totally clear to me. I can recommend the products below though with confidence and really think everyone should be taking all of these for at least some time:

All at the same time 2 times a day:
    Passion Flower Extract. 2- 350 mg pills- 2 times a day
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Passi...90-Vcaps/18044

Eastern Easentials Calm and Relaxed Formula- 6 pills 2 times a day
    http://www.easternessentials.com/sto...laxed-formula/

Pharma Gaba- 2 capsules 2 times a day (There is debate if GABA can penetrate the blood brain barrier. I say its worth a try.)
    http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Factors...ggie-Caps/8905

Suntheanine. 1 150 mg capsule 2 times a day (This is the amino acid in green tea that makes you feel calm and good. Not the caffeine part)
    http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-S...gie-Caps/12959

Take these 5 products I listed above twice daily together. Once after breakfast and once later in the evening.

Before sleep take 2 more Passionflower Extracts pills with 2 cups of chamomile tea. 2 tea bags, use the tea bags twice for a total of 2 cups.
    Here is awesome tea! Chamomile, Lavender and Lemon Balm combo all organic! Drink this as much as you want. Buy boxes of this stuff. Cartons, crates! Take baths in it if you have to.
    http://www.iherb.com/Traditional-Med...-oz-24-g/41694

Use 1 teaspoon of organic raw honey with your tea. Let the tea cool for a few minutes before you add it so not to cook the honey and lose its nutrients. If you have a bee pollen allergy or an infant 1 year old or under don't use it.
    This stuff is awesome! http://www.iherb.com/GloryBee-Organi...oz-510-g/33159

DO NOT TAKE B VITAMINS OR CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTS UNTIL YOUR ANXIETY IS UNDER CONTROL

Take Milk Thistle Extract- 1 250 mg pill 2 times daily
    http://www.iherb.com/MRM-Silymarin-W...ggie-Caps/4650

1 scoop a day of this incredible green drink. 1 tablespoon (6 g) Contains the Antioxidant Equivalent of 24 Servings of Fruits & Vegetables
    http://www.iherb.com/Paradise-Herbs-...oz-182-g/12309

1 pill daily of 5000 mg Vitamin D3.
    http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins...Softgels/18341

1 capsule 3 times a day of 200 mg of Magnesium Glycinate
    http://www.iherb.com/Bluebonnet-Nutr...90-Vcaps/14198

What is so great about these supplements, is there are no side effects and they are making you healthier! Not like drugs that add no benefit to your overall health and have side effects. I recommend you get all of these.

No soda. Drink water and the chamomile/ lemon balm/ lavender tea.
    No alcohol!
    Get in a yoga class 3 times a week. Do it at your own pace no matter how out of shape you are. It isn't a race. Yoga is all about what it does to you internally. Take avery beginning class if you have to. Enjoy being in such a positive healthy exercise environment.
    Breathe through your nose as much as possible throughout the day every day.
    Read The Power of Now.
    Watch the movie The Shift for free here:
    Part 1- http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19860476P...+(Part+1+of+3)
    Part 2- http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19864765ExrqprSW
    Part 3- http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19874885WJX7Cp6y

If you are overbreathing or hyperventilating then read and practice this book by Patrick McKeown on Buteyko breathing
    Anxiety Free: stop worrying and quieten your mind
    http://www.patrickmckeown.net/books.php

Something out there brought you to this anxious state for a reason. It is in this state where you will be motivated to heal yourself and create a much better you. Enjoy the healing process. Believe in something, God, Jesus, The Force, The Flow, whatever you chose. Believe in a greater purpose of your life and that you are being guided by something that wants you to be happy and healthy. Focus on your future happy and healthy non anxious self as if it is happening right now, until you reach it. You know, basic Law of Attraction stuff.

Don't be so hard on yourself and try not to get too dramatic about stuff. Learn to flow with life and try and enjoy yourself. This is not a rehearsal. This is it! This is your life and try to make it the best you can! Leave the bad times in the past and start looking forward. All that matters is what is going on right now and what you will do with the rest of your life.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PanicCured; 12-03-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Cheers for all that :] I'm sure it'll help many people.
    Supplements are amazing.

There is a lot of talk out there on the web about supplementing amino acids to increase the seratonin and catecholamine levels. Products like Neuroreplete (i think is the name) was suggested by my MD.

I mention this because in my brief read of your synopsis, i didnt see this facet of non-med care mentioned.

Have you tried this type of approach?

Yes I did do amino acids. It probably did help. To be honest, I don't remember clearly what that regimen was. I recommended L-theanine above which is one. I didn't actually list everything one can do as the list is already quite long. I think amino acids could help, but I am not sure exactly how to do it for best results. I hear Glutamine can possibly trigger anxiety and I don't know if you should only take them as a group complex. I did take an amino acid complex for a bit and L-Glutamine, Taurine, also others. I took Acetyl-N-Carnitine, Lipoic acid, and other things trying to increase acetylcholine and serotonin. Worth a try, but I want people at least to get on what I listed above. I took so much stuff I don't know if it helped or not. I think it helped me health wise but can't say for certain helped with anxiety. It may have. I believe the regimen I listed above is pretty much a must do though whether you do amino acids or not. I am just not sure about them yet. Maybe someone else has used amino acids with success and they can inform us.

I'm going to add a sentence about it now in the original post.
    Last edited by PanicCured; 12-03-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forwells View Post
    I am going to lock this post as i think that it is so important to look at things like this .

Natural supps are no different to everyday drugs . The difference is that drug companies cant make 1000x profit on it. The natural drugs are real and do work . They are mild and they do not give the nasty side effects that drugs give . They can also be used by starting small to stop any bad side effects.

The problem with anxiety i believe is two fold . But it is often only seen as a one fold problem . It is mainly seen as a mental problem that is in ones head . This might be the case but it didn't start as that and simply changing your thinking is not going to fix it either . Recovery takes wrapping your head around it all so that you lose the fear of the symptoms and then it takes work to get rid of the symptoms .

Amino acids

These are the building blocks of the body . There are about 20 in total . 9 of them the body gets from food and the others the body can make from the first 9 . They build protein and the brain must have this in order to function well.

Each one of these have something they do in the body . For example tyrosine is the precursor to making dopamine in the brain . L-theanine which is the active ingredient in green tea that gives it is calm effect. It effects Gaba , the same thing as benzos

Teas are great but in order to get the effect you sometimes need more . In order to get what one pill has in it you may need to drink 100 cups of tea . Sometimes it may pay to add the active ingredient by way of a supp.

The important thing to look at is that with Amino acids it is about balance and finding the right one . This takes time and it also takes time to work . There are list online that will tell you what each one does and the effect that lack of it adds on the body . It means work to sort it out , not like taking modern drugs but it also gets to the heart of the problem.

There is a few i want to add into this list .

Omega 3s Fish oil . This also plays a very important part in the brain . The brain is mostly fat and needs this to work . It is good for overall health . There is belief that there must be a balance between omega 3 and omega 6. With a junk food diet this is often not the case and there will be higher omega 6. You need a lot and they are big pills that often give reflex . This can be fixed by taking before bed or by taken krill oil.

Vitamin C . This helps the body to heal . You can take large dose as you will pee out what is not needed . Find your dose and take it . High doses will cause diarrhea, so start small and if this happens cut back a bit and that's your dose . Again pills work better because to get what one pill give you you may need to eat 1000 oranges .

I like panics list but we must remember that everyone is different , so it is a personal thing that people need to try and work out what is best for them . Of course there are common things that should be taken to support your recovery.

Do your research on the chemicals in the brain and work out which one it is that may be the problem and work on that one .

There is alot of talk about serotonin but in some it is not . I was told this again and again and when i took something to raise it i would feel worse . I have found out that it is in fact my dopamine levels that are the problem . They both cause simpler problems but there is also a difference . Serotonin being low will cause people to feel guilt , worthless but dopamine will not .

Serotonin will make it hard to get to sleep where as dopamine you can get to sleep but wake early .

In all honesty if you want to get better you need to get off your butt and do it , you need to work on research and find whats wrong with you and fix that . Drugs can work but they can also not work because there is so many factors that play into things and they are often i one pill fix all . For every person that it helps there is one that is on them and still feeling shit . You need to work out if you want to get better or take something that helps with symptoms . I know which one i wanted and thats what i did no matter what i had to do to get there .

A great book that explains how all these supps work on different things is Quit without feeling shit and optimal nutrition for the mind

Panic Cured, I would like to THANK YOU with all my heart for your information.

Fortunately I was able to find a Doctor who works in this natural form of healing.

I was put on Amino Acids also and they have helped, I take the Dr Bach rescue remedy which does soothe me, the herbal teas, lavender, chamomile , rose flower, elderflower etc, magnesium supplements, Vitamin E, St John's wart etc etc.
    My panics have stopped, I am still now dealing with the physical/ symptomatic side of things.
    It has been awful but better now, Your information is a God send and I urge everyone to read it and consider .

Just one bit of info I need to add, I am on the amino acids under the supervision of my doctor. My doses have now been halved.
    The Tryptophane needs care, if you take too much of it, it will trigger anxiety also,
    I started with half a teaspoon per day (the plan was to slowly work up to 3), the first day that I took one teaspoon my anxiety kicked in again, so I reverted back to the half teaspoon only (had I not researched this myself I would not have realised that too much of it also causes anxiety and I would have thrown the entire regime away believing that it did NOT work

There for doing your own due diligence, informing yourself on everything possible is VITAL to your healing !

I also found at night, drinking warm milk with a teaspoon of organic honey is very calming and soothing, the milk contains tryptophan. Relaxation tapes, excercise and going through the fear has equalled healing for me.

Also, thanks Forewells, brilliant !

All natural, I am loving this list. My one suggestion to is don't go broke buying all these supplements. What I did was start out trying different supplements one at a time and then when I found certain herbs that worked, I would purchase a combo pill for the ones that were beneficial for me.

No don't listen to either of those guys. Take these EXACTLY as I described. This will cost you a lot cheaper than going to the doctor. I posted very cheap options.

PanicCured,

Thank you for your contributions to this forum. I have a question for you. I suffer from panic disorder that is triggered especially when I am on the highway. In some of the coping guides mentioned on this forum, it states that we should sit and do nothing, and ride out the anxiety. I am having trouble accepting this approach because when I am on the highway with no immediate way to escape, it is very hard to sit and do nothing when my panic starts to peak. And what I mean by peak is that it becomes so bad that my face goes numb, I lose my ability to focus on the road, my heart races, and I become very lightheaded and dizzy. This is extremely scary and puts me in a dangerous situation with fast cars moving all around me. I feel like riding out the anxiety may cause me to have an accident. Simply getting off the highway becomes a challenge because I have trouble turning my head to change lanes when the dizziness is bad. The whole thing is debilitating, and I am desperate to do something about this. I've seen a psychologist 6 times, and so far this forum seems to offer more techniques than the therapist has. I know this is all about retraining my mind and using exposure to overcome my fears, but how do I do so when my life is at risk? I cannot simply relax during a panic attack as if I was sitting in a chair at my desk. Do you have any advice for me? It would be much appreciated. I will be starting the natural supplement regimen you stated.

I know what you mean. I have been there.

We have to be realistic and realize that driving is not a toy so if there is danger, we must be responsible about it. But everything comes down to the same thing:

1) What is anxiety and what do these body symptoms mean?

2) What to do about it.

Just focus on who you want to be until THAT becomes a reality and do the necessary steps to get there. I have outlined this in many posts!

Anxiety is bullshit!

Good luck!

Hi elusionz, i doubt anyone can give you advise on how to ride out anxiety on the high way, if your anxiety gets that bad i dont think you should be driving as your putting yourself at risk as well as others