Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sertraline (Zoloft) Diary

Hello everyone! I just made the switch to Sertraline (Zoloft) last night from Citalopram (Celexa). I spent many hours trying to research last night (being quite afraid of switching from one right to the next). I thought I would come on here and create a record of sorts to maybe help other people out who are also looking for some answers.

I have suffered from problems with anxiety for 15 years and on off. This last bout has been quite nasty and has left me obsessing over my health. I am constantly worried that I am going to die suddenly. Every pain and sensation means something fatal. It is certainly taking a toll on my ability to live happily.

Because of my fear of drugs (putting something foreign into my body), I decided to start with Celexa because I had taken it 5 years prior and felt relatively safe doing so. I was prescribed a dosage of 10mg which I was to increase to 20mg after day 4, and then up to 30mg a week after that. After joining this website I came across an old thread about Celexa being linked to heart problems and sudden death at higher doses (over 40mg). I wasn't even close to that dosage but because I am super sensitive, this news scared the crap out of me. I did not increase the dose past 10mg, but stayed on the drug until my next appointment. My doctor and I decided that it was pointless to keep me on Celexa if it was going to make me worry, so I made the switch to Zoloft last night. I was, of course, completely horrified that something bad would happen switching between SSRI's, primarily because I know that the Celexa is still in my body and will continue to be for at least a few more days. I asked around on here and spoke to a pharmacist and got the reassurance I needed to go ahead with the switch. So last night, rather nervously, I took the new pill and began my journey.

I am to take 12.5mg's of Zoloft for 4 days, increasing to 25mg. One week after, I go up to 50mg, with a follow up appointment shortly after that.

So far (12 hours after first dose) I feel mostly okay. I found I had some trouble sleeping, waking up during the night feeling "weird", possibly frantic that I was "going crazy". I do know that I was really concerned about making the switch, so a lot of that could have to do with anxiety. I have a mild headache today across the front of my forehead and suffered a mild panic attack about 1 hour ago, but I don't think today has been much different than any other day I've lived lately.

So that's the jist of it. I'll come back on here from time to time if I have anything relevant to report. Hopefully this thread will help someone out someday going through similar!

Take care everyone and may we all feel better and be on the road to recovery soon!!
    Last edited by Jinaiya; 12-10-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Day 2:

I felt quite depressed today for awhile but that could be situational, not medication related. Had kind of a blah day at my doctors appointment today.

Still getting minor headaches, feel tired and lightheaded. 2 more days of 12.5mg. I'll probably write again once I have increased the dose as this dose may be too low for much of a reaction anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinaiya
    Day 2:

I felt quite depressed today for awhile but that could be situational, not medication related. Had kind of a blah day at my doctors appointment today.

Still getting minor headaches, feel tired and lightheaded. 2 more days of 12.5mg. I'll probably write again once I have increased the dose as this dose may be too low for much of a reaction anyways.
    I also jst started on sertraline. Today is 3rd day. My worse side effect is my stomache it hits my stomache hard! Seemed a little better yesterday see how today goes. Get light headed too but not real bad. 1st day headache. I want it to work!! I worry abt health in general, so the side effects giv me more anxiety!

I took 25mg first two days 3rd day today, i took a lil less... Feel much better today less stomach trouble!!! :-)

Day 7:

Increased my dose as planned on Friday. Nervous as always! Had trouble sleeping because I woke up a lot having to pee (4 times). :/ In the midst of waking up a lot I was paying attention to my heart, noticing it a pounding a bit, and didn't seem relaxed. Made me anxious...

Saturday was an okay day in general. I didn't feel any "weirder" or have any new symptoms to report.

Saturday night was horrible. I had panic attacks all night and hardly got any sleep. I was completely obsessing about my heart, feeling like it was pounding, and racing a little (what if's)... I gave up by 3:30 and played video games to get my mind off things.

Sunday was horrible. I had anxiety on and off all day, with a big panic attack in the middle of the afternoon. More heart focus and general fear. Maybe in part to do with the lack of sleep.

I didn't sleep too well last night for much of the same reason. Part of it did have to do with my daughter getting up in the middle of the night, which is out of my control. So far (having been up for about 1 hour), I feel mostly okay. Slightly anxious (just noticed I was bouncing my leg, which I do when I am anxious). My heartburn troubles are acting up a little more than expected which often makes me fearful too (what if I have cancer, what if I have something severe they can't find, etc). So yeah, that's basically it.

I have often heard of people complain that Zoloft can cause trouble sleeping, I have yet to determine if that is the case for me or not. Yes, I have been having trouble sleeping, but only because of frequent need to pee (another concern, unfortunately). Then, once I'm up, I'm screwed. I don't seem to have too much trouble falling asleep initially. I lay down, pop my movie on and I am generally asleep within 30 minutes.

I guess I did note that I woke last night to a racing heart which caused an instant panic attack. Seems I am becoming more fearful of sleeping at night.

More later.
    Last edited by Jinaiya; 12-10-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinG View Post
    I also jst started on sertraline. Today is 3rd day. My worse side effect is my stomache it hits my stomache hard! Seemed a little better yesterday see how today goes. Get light headed too but not real bad. 1st day headache. I want it to work!! I worry abt health in general, so the side effects giv me more anxiety!
    Best of Luck to you RobinG!! Feel free to chime in on this thread about how you are feeling on the Zoloft anytime!!

I guess my biggest fear right now is that this medication isn't going to work for me and I'll have to switch again! Feeling really scared and helpless right now. Just want this to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinaiya

Best of Luck to you RobinG!! Feel free to chime in on this thread about how you are feeling on the Zoloft anytime!!
    Thank u. Im doin ok, but getting anxiety again, panic attack yesterday. But time for me to up dose today, so i hope it helps. I take mine mid morning. No trouble going to sleep, but after 5/6 hrs i wake up & cant get back to sleep, not enough sleep givs me anxiety problems too! I get that heart pounding too, it had stopped when i began zoloft, so i hope my dose increase stops it again. My stomach trouble stopped too. I hope it works for u! Thoughts with u! P.s. im increasing my doses a1/4 at a time, mayb not enough, but it scares me so much this seems easier to handle. I started at 25mg but went down, today back to 25mg. Also, ive heard good stuff on results of this med. but to giv it time! Lets try be positive!
    Last edited by RobinG; 11-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Jst to note: my doc told me use the zanax for anxiety/panic, while the sertraline gets in system first couple weeks. Then use less zanax only when needed.

Zoloft is the only medicine that helped me. I had no weird side effects and consider it (with therapy) the thing that put me back on track! But every body reacts different.