Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Sameboat, I loved reading your response- thank you for posting- it helped me today. That is a great way to think: to welcome the anxiety in a sense because I'd rather be dead than be a slave to it every day. Amen!
    My
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    blog.

Hey trackstar. Great to see you are still around. I have been too busy to post lately but trying to catch up with everyone today. I hope all is well?

I really had a hard time with Agoraphobia

Check the link below ...it sure helped me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Re: Tips for dealing with Agoraphobia

Instead of forcing yourself to go out, then ending up traumatized, why not invite outdoor elements into your house? Maybe you can invite people over more often or put more plants into your house. The idea is to simulate an outside environment so that you can slowly ease yourself into the idea of being outside. You can also leave some windows open once in a while or better yet, open your front door and stand in front of it a few times a day for a few minutes. Hope this helps!

what is the best way to lose weight quickly

I think cbt is the best bet for overcoming agoraphobia. If you change the way you process your thoughts, you will change your life

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    I think cbt is the best bet for overcoming agoraphobia. If you change the way you process your thoughts, you will change your life
    I agree Beachgirl, CBT does work very well, however in my experience it is only part of the solution for anxiety. The problem is that the part of the brain that is responsible for fear and anxiety actually responds considerably more rapidly than the conscious part of the brain. It has to in order to react fast enough to keep us safe and alive when we are in danger. In other words that part of the brain has already started the physiological steps that create the symptoms of anxiety long before we even become conscious of them. Which is why most people often become aware of the anxiety symptoms first then the thoughts about it. At that point the emotion has taken over and it can be hard to think rationally about what is going on. I have found that a combination of CBT, and other more emotionally based or somatic approaches works in a more balanced way because it tackles both the cognitive and somatic aspects of the anxiety.
    Nigel Magowan
    Integrative Psychotherapist

"...be what you are and be all that you, and only you, can be. " Milton H. Erickson

Hi Innerchanges and nice to meet you
    I totally agree with what you are saying. In fact I think CBT has retrained my brain so now my subconscious protects me in just the way you described that makes cbt difficult for some at first. The beauty, in my case at least, is that the very mechanism that caused my anxiety now prevents it in the same way now that cbt has trained me to think more objectively.

Hi sameboat,

I just came across the post you made 4 years ago. I wanted to say that it has helped me so much that I cannot convey to you how appreciative I am for you taking the time to write it. I literally broke down crying whilst reading it. I draw so many parallels with your ways of thinking and the kind of anxiety you have dealt with over the years. I am 22 years old and still live at home. Agoraphobia doesn't affect my everyday living but it currently stops me from travelling much and I am absolutely terrified of moving away from my country permanently. I say that because I am currently in a relationship with an american girl (i'm scottish) and she wants to move away. I have also very recently left my girlfriend of 6 years to be with my new one. I am aware that this is a unsettling time in my life but I am now feeling that I cannot deal with it. Your post gave me the inspiration I needed again to know that I will be able to handle whatever comes my way.

Many thanks again for your help. I hope that you are still doing well with your anxiety!

Great job Tartan and welcome to the site

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    Hi Innerchanges and nice to meet you
    I totally agree with what you are saying. In fact I think CBT has retrained my brain so now my subconscious protects me in just the way you described that makes cbt difficult for some at first. The beauty, in my case at least, is that the very mechanism that caused my anxiety now prevents it in the same way now that cbt has trained me to think more objectively.
    I have had the same experience and it feels great doesn't it. Really built my self-confidence too as a nice side benefit