Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy One thing after another...

Hi, I'm new here. Here's a little about my current situation:

I've dealt with anxiety my entire life. Lately though, I've been feeling more symptoms of depression due to loneliness and and several let downs. I quit drinking several months ago for health reasons (mental and physical) which has alienated me from my old social circle (I'm in my mid twenties.) I was living in an awkward situation with not so friendly roommates for around 7 months which wasn't allowing me to feel comfortable and grow the way I wanted to. I am now out of that situation but moved into a new apartment that has a noise issue which is contributing to my on again off again insomnia which has caused a great deal of anxiety and depression. I work in a high stress job which requires me to have tons of energy and when I'm kept up at night and dragged down by depression I just can't swing it. I feel like lately, every time I try to improve my situation, something negative happens which pushes me deeper down into my anxiety/depression hole.

If anyone has any advice about becoming more comfortable in not so ideal living situations/ loneliness I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks

Oh I can relate to this post I worked for ten years as a commodities trader. Spent 8 . Over time the anxiety got so bad I couldn't sleep without Xanax and then without a lot of Xanax which I don't recommend.I continued to self medicate more and more. The anxiety caused me ulcers and esophogas and digestive tract inflammation. I was forced to quit finally due to my failing health.
    You said you don't drink and it's affecting you socially. I'm not some AA zealous person but I will say its a very good place to meet people and make friends. You don't have to be an alcoholic on his death bed to go to AA meetings just a willingness not to drink. Maybe attend a couple meetings you'll meet a lot of cool people there that have other interests than drinking. Not to mention the majority of AAers are dealing with anxiety and mood disorders just like us that's why they drank. Other ideas clubs, coed sports leagues I personally am in a cycling club and play softball. It sounds like you've outgrown some old friends maybe it's time to meet some new ones
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 09-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Also, getting out and trying new things can be very uplifting. If your not a social butterfly take up a new hobby something that can relax you after a shitty day at work. It's much easier to feel lonely when you are bored.

Thanks for the response Demon, glad to hear that you got out of your overly stressful job. I am in the midst of applying to graduate school so hopefully, before too long I will be in school and can leave this job behind. I used to go to AA meetings back when I was on the road to quit drinking and I found it difficult to connect with the people there as most of them seemed to be "raging" alcoholics and I never was, although I definitely had a drinking problem. I might give it another try though and when I introduce myself, be honest about my situation and my desire to find friends who don't drink. I've also been searching for local anxiety/depression support groups but I haven't had much luck finding any in my area.

I'm definitely not a social butterfly and I have realized that I do have social anxiety...(I never knew back when I was drinking!) This has made it difficult for me to try new things and make new friends. I hope to start an art class soon and make a point to talk to people more.