Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Can some help me understand agoraphobia?

I have bad anxiety someone mentioned i may be suffering from agoraphobia but reading other threads im not so sure!
    All i know is crowded places make me really anxious, i cant ever go to night clubs w friends unless im tipsy or drunk.
    Even in crowded restaurants i get antsy & freak out....but then other times it doesnt bother me.
    Even when my boyfriend tries to cuddle w me i feel like i have lack of space & cant breathe & freak out & i hate it! I dont want it to ruin my relationship!
    Does this sound like agoraphobia or something different maybe???
    Please help!

May be a bit claustrophobic. Is it the closed spaces or the difficulty "escaping"/leaving places/situations if you need to? Is it people or more so the closed space? Even so if you do not avoid these situations(phobic avoidance),.......... you're not agoraphobic, just anxious. Many people are anxious during flights, dental appointments, in elevators, etc, but if they don't get anxious enough to avoid this, they are not phobic...........just anxious in these situations. Maybe they can tolerate anxiety better then others. In any case if no avoidance develops, you're not really phobic or you may tolerate anxiety well. IMHO. Alankay

Thanks for the reply!
    & its more people than it is closed space.
    Small rooms or even being in a closet doesnt bother me.
    Good to know that it doesnt sound like agoraphobia. I guess my anxiety is just worse than i thought.
    It just sucks that my bf can barely touch me sometimes (not all the time) w/out me freaking out....maybe bc of things that have happened to me in the past ? Bc i havent always had this problem.

Could be some Social Anxiety mixed in there. I have a touch of that. Lots do. Alankay

Yea A lil social anciety sounds a bit right.
    But idk how to control it & be normal

I've found all ssri's helped with that. It helps you(well me and others) become less self conscious(obsess/ruminate less on things)see which in the end helps a great deal. IMHO. I take prozac 20mg/day. Alankay

Do the meds help alot?
    Im not on any?