Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: I need opinions

I need opinions

I'm 17 and recently started at a big TAFE, kind of like college. I've noticed that the night before my classes I get really worked up and stressed about being by myself and being around so many people. I start shaking and my breathing gets erratic and I start crying, and I get a horrible sensation similar to pins and needles.
    I also get incredibly anxious about going to the canteen to get food for lunch. I start shaking and get really light headed and get that horrible pins and needles sensation again, and my heart starts beating really hard.

I was wondering if you guys think I might be developing some kind of social anxiety? It's getting to the stage where I almost passed out today, and don't want to go eat or be at tafe.

What are your thoughts? :s

It sounds like the symptoms of social anxiety, yes. But if you just started, the good thing is that it shouldn't have become a subconscious habit yet to be afraid of those situations (unless you've encountered them before with other places). When you're feeling those feelings again, just remember to stop and realize that there is no real logical reason to be feeling them, and it's just your body overreacting to what should be a harmless environment.

Quote Originally Posted by bcdefg123
    It sounds like the symptoms of social anxiety, yes. But if you just started, the good thing is that it shouldn't have become a subconscious habit yet to be afraid of those situations (unless you've encountered them before with other places). When you're feeling those feelings again, just remember to stop and realize that there is no real logical reason to be feeling them, and it's just your body overreacting to what should be a harmless environment.
    Thank you!
    Do you think I should see someone about it? I've had depression and I'm just worried that the anxiety might start triggering my depression again.

If you want to, sure, you can see someone about it. But, as you said, it hasn't been happening for very long, no? I'd say you're capable of riding this one out on your own. Perhaps maybe wait a few days?

Welcome Ms. OliveOil,

bcdfg3: Check yer inbox shortly please....vital. Thanks!

E-Man.