Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

New here...going back on Paxil :(

I was giving Paxil (10mg) by my doctor in 2001. It worked. I had no problems but weight gain. I was also giving Xanax (.50mg) for any stressing moments. I would go through 30 pills in a year so I rarely used it. I stop using Paxil during the most stressful time in my life. In Feb 2011 I lost my mother to cancer, my daughter graduated high school in May 2011, I got married in June 2011 and took on a Team Lead position at my job in Nov. 2011. During this time I didn't need or take Paxil I took Xanax once in a while if I couldn't sleep. Lately I have been having anxiety/panic attacks. I hate this feeling (tired, sleepy, cant eat, nervous). My family looks at me as being the "backbone" of the family. I'm always taking care of everyone. I'm always making sure everyone is happy. I think it has taken a toll on me. I never told my husband I take Paxil for anxiety, he knows about the Xanax cause I call them my "chill pills".
    I dont like the weight gain with Paxil. Should I ask my doctor for something different?
    What meds are working for you?
    Does anyone else take Xanax with an another anti-depressant?

Sorry for the typos.

I am on celexa and also was given Xanax .

If the Paxil works for you, keep taking it. It seems that it takes so many of us several trial and errors w MEDS, hence my advice to take what works for you.. If you're concerned about weight gain, just exercise a bit more and watch what you eat a bit more... Drink more water, etc. good luck to you. Btw, I haven't found what works for me yet... Everything I've tried gives me major side effects (mental & physical). If the only side effect I got from a med that works was weight gain, I'd take it. I'd rather be a bit chunky than deal w anxiety every day

Quote Originally Posted by ok sooner girl
    I was giving Paxil (10mg) by my doctor in 2001. It worked. I had no problems but weight gain. I was also giving Xanax (.50mg) for any stressing moments. I would go through 30 pills in a year so I rarely used it. I stop using Paxil during the most stressful time in my life. In Feb 2011 I lost my mother to cancer, my daughter graduated high school in May 2011, I got married in June 2011 and took on a Team Lead position at my job in Nov. 2011. During this time I didn't need or take Paxil I took Xanax once in a while if I couldn't sleep. Lately I have been having anxiety/panic attacks. I hate this feeling (tired, sleepy, cant eat, nervous). My family looks at me as being the "backbone" of the family. I'm always taking care of everyone. I'm always making sure everyone is happy. I think it has taken a toll on me. I never told my husband I take Paxil for anxiety, he knows about the Xanax cause I call them my "chill pills".
    I dont like the weight gain with Paxil. Should I ask my doctor for something different?
    What meds are working for you?
    Does anyone else take Xanax with an another anti-depressant?

Sorry for the typos.
    Update:
    My dr put me back on paxil 20mg per day and refilled my Xanax. She also did some lab work to check my blood sugar, thyroid and other stuff.
    Paxil has always worked for me, I shouldn't had stopped taking it. I'm just ready to feel "normal" again.