Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Suddenly Anxious

It came on almost like a switch. One day I was my happy, normal self and the next I was in a dizzy, hazy, panicky world. That was 2 months ago and after a few doctors visits, several panic attacks and an emergency room visit I'm starting to accept that this is anxiety. I'm trying to be proactive and not let things get more out of control. I've found many of the forum posts here very helpful and thought I would join. I still feel dizzy and out of it (that is the best way I can describe it, although it is a little different than actually feeling dizzy) but, for the most part, I have been able to float through panic attacks and let them pass. I still have the "something is physically wrong with me" thought pop up almost daily but I'm learning (sort of!) to let that float past me too. At least I'm trying. Its difficult and exhausting but I do feel the "layers" (as someone called it) lifting. Its just SO slow. I have a 2 year old and living this way, even for a short time (as I realize many people have these symptoms for years), is very frustrating. I hope we can help each other! Thanks for reading.

Hello ErikaMay, Welcome to the forum!
    Wow, i really wish i could just float through panic attacks! It sounds like you are doing really well though, if your able to float through the thoughts and panics
    Have you tried any herbal things, I don't mean as in brewing a storm in a cauldron in the middle of the kitchen! i mean sprays and tablets?
    I bought some tablets called Kalms and a soothing spray, i have not yet tried the tablets but the spray is brilliant, got an odd taste as it is made from random flowers. However, the effects and time it takes to work make up for that
    I suggest maybe getting a spray if you get over whelmed with bad thoughts and it may speed up the process of these "layers" as you called them, lifting!

I hope this helped
    Anna-Lea
    Xx

Just noticed this reply. Thanks! I haven't used any of the sprays but I have found peppermint essential oil to be helpful when I'm feeling particularly out of it. I put it on my temples and chest and it really wakes me up. I have been able to float through the panic attacks only after accepting that what I'm feeling is a panic attack, if that makes sense. Its taken me weeks to believe that I'm dealing with anxiety and not some other horrible illness that no one but me can detect. And I still struggle with that off and on depending on the day (or the hour!). Just repeating to myself "this is anxiety, not____" has actually worked, as simple as it sounds. Thanks again!

Hey ErikaMay,

I know exatly what you're describing. Ive been suffering with anxiety for over two years. Im just like you, I have panic attacks and when I feel them coming on, I quickly get out my 'Rescue Remedy' spray and spray it into my mouth three times and I start to feel calm.
    I have also heard that ginger can have a calming effect on us too but am yet to try it due to chickening out everytime I have an attack.
    Its great that you're using peppermint oil, I think I might give that a try!

Have you tried any breathing techniques whenever you feel a panic attack coming on?

Vee.

I actually just try to breathe normally. I think that really helps to calm things down rather than taking huge deep breaths. For me, it seems that that just makes things more escalated. I haven't had a panic attack for a few weeks and the last one I did have wasn't all that bad because I was able to talk myself out of it My worst problem is the dizzy/spacey feeling I get whenever I have something to do...it is really annoying. We're in the process of moving right now so I think all the stuff we have to do is just overwhelming me. I just wish I felt more energetic about getting stuff done.

I get same thing the dizzy thing and it makes us feel weird in the head hard to explain