Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Should I up my dosage?

Hello,

I'm taking 10 mg of Citalopram. My anxiety is better than before, but not gone especially if I have to do anything. I'll usually end up taking some Xanax then. Should I go up on my dosage of the Citalopram?

(Background info: About two months ago, my doctor prescribed me 10mg for a week and then 20 mg after that. However, the side effects were so great that I had to start off at a lower dose and I'm just now up to 10mg for about a week.)

Thanks for any and all advice!

Harrison

It sounds like a good plan to try upping the dose to 20mg since those were the original directions and you're still having considerable anxiety. Maybe now you won't have the side effects. If you do get them they could wear off in a week or less - that is not unusual.

If you do up it, bump up to 15mg for a week, then the full 20 (split the pills with a splitter, knife etc.) The slow increase will minimize side effects.

It should be far less than when you first got on it since your body has gotten adjusted to the medicine itself. But increasing the dose could produce small side effects for a few days.

Thanks so much for the advice!