Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Question on breathing

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there is a differance between hyperventilating and shallow breathing? If there is, are the physical symptoms the same? Also are there a differant methods to help them?

Thanks.

My Chair, My Living Room, My Flat, My Street, Louth, Lincolnshire, England, UK, Planet Earth.
    Basically when you hyperventillate you take big panic breaths and you body cant cope the solution to this is to breathe into a paper bag this helps you to concentrate on your breathing and slow it downas well as making you breaths shallower. this can also be accomplished by breathing in for two seconds and out for four. Shallow breathing is what it says on the tin you are not breathing heavy enough. To return to normal breathing focus on your breathing feeling the air coming in and out. Breath slowly counting four seconds in four seconds out in through your nose out through your mouth. this should mean you take in more air.

I hope this helps

Duncan
    In a mad world only the mad are sane

Akira Kurosawa

Thanks Dunc I knew I could rely on you.
    Are the symptoms the same do you know?

My Chair, My Living Room, My Flat, My Street, Louth, Lincolnshire, England, UK, Planet Earth.
    Other than the breathing yes. You feel dizzy or fuzzy, pins and needles, feel like you cant breathe or faint. Maybe other symptoms if it becomes an anxiety attack.

Always Around

Duncan
    In a mad world only the mad are sane

Akira Kurosawa

Everything they have said and something that helps me when I feel like this is reminding myself the FACT that youre NOT going to die and it WILL pass.