Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Help with medication (citalopram)

Hello Everyone,

My doctor prescribed me citalopram almost 2 months ago. I was suppose to take it at night and do 10 mgs for a week and then 20 after that. Well after 3 nights of 10 the side effects were just too much. Long story short, I dropped to 5mg. My anxiety was not near as bad, but still there. About two weeks ago, I started 7.5 mg. and have more anxiety. My doctor wanted me to get up in dosage and then if that didn't work try lexapro.

My question is should I wait and see if my anxiety gets better with the 7.5, keep slowly trying to get up higher on citalopram, try again to just jump higher on it, or should I try the lexapro now?
    Thanks for any and all help!!!!

Harrison

If the .5 works why not stay there?

Well, I think it worked some, but I was/am still suffering anxiety. My doctor acted like it was such a low dose that it really wouldn't help at that level.

If you feel it works even just a bit then stick with it. I have been on citalopram for a long time and am currently on 40mg, it works well for me but I did have terrible side effects when I first started. I started on 10mgs and it was gradually increased but I feel it was therapy that was the most beneficial. the drugs helped with the symptoms but therapy helped get to the root of the problem and learn how to deal with it. It's worth sticking it out even with the side effects and it can take a good few weeks to take effect. Unfortunately any medication will more than likely give you side effects. Are you seeing a therapist/psych as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Are you seeing a therapist/psych as well?
    No, I'm not. I went to one about 5 years ago and he said he didn't think I had a typical anxiety disorder and thought something was medically wrong. But, after so many tests with no results besides lots of allergies/sensitivities, low blood pressure, and a congenital heart defect. With some food eliminations, it helped some with dizziness and such but by that time the anxiety was still always there.

Citalopram didn't help me, cbt did the best.