Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

medication and pregnancy

I was just wondering if anyone here has been pregnant whilst on medication.

I am looking to start a family at some point in the future but do worry about the medications that I am on and the risk to the baby. I take 40mgs citalopram daily and 80mg of a beta blocker called propranolol. There are so many varying answers on line- yes it's fine, no it's not etc. I have also had differing info from doctors. One has said to me that he would be happy for me to take the meds whilst pregnant as stopping them would have a detrimental effect on me and my mental health. Another doctor said that it would be best to wean myself off the meds first. I have tried to stop citalopram several times in the past but it has never worked- I have had dreadful withdrawal symptoms and re-accurances of anxiety/depression when reducing the citalopram.

Anyway, I was looking for some info from anyone who has been in this position.

Thanks,

B xxxx

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I tried weaning myself off the 10mg of Prozac I was on and it came back to bite me - crazy anxiety and panic attacks. I wanted to try coming off of it because I'm looking to start a family in the next year or so. Well, I'm back on Prozac now, and all the way up to 60mg. Also taking .5mg Ativan as needed (1 or 2x a day). My pdoc has reassured me that Prozac is one of the safer drugs to be on during pregnancy (the risks are very low) and in my case, the benefit of being on it (keeping me stable) outweighs the slight risks. I'm hoping to stabilize, completely stop the Ativan (because I know that's not a good one to be on while preggers), and wean down to 40mg or 20mg of the Prozac during pregnancy. I actually bought a book called "Pregnant on Prozac"... but had to stop reading it for now because it was feeding my anxiety! I'll pick it back up when I'm more stable

I would be interested in hearing about someone who has been through a pregnancy while on meds too. It makes me uneasy, but I truly believe that it's more important for me to be stable, not in a constant state of anxiety, while pregnant. Pregnancy is hard enough as it is!

Good luck