Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Juliana and others,
    Wow it's good to be home in a way, I feel, like Juliana, that I'm out of place in many ways. Most of my friends don't get it, I feel stagnant while they are growing... and they still wonder why I seem so peppy.

I was reading through some of the website's topics and started panicing becuase I fear that even if I do find a cure, it will only be temporary.
    I will have to try that peppermint trick, I too suffer from a fear of vomiting, or really a fear of having anything come out of anywhere, if you catch my drift (I posted my first topic on IBS).
    I guess the best remedy is to try and find comfort in the fact that the percentage of times you've actually vomited vs. wanting to vomit is low, or I would hope so at least. There was one person, I believe it was tweakit, that said they had rarely puked in their lifetime. I myself also rarely puke ( I went something like, 7 years without throwing up once, until I got Viral menengitus and the medications made me severely sick) but often feel the urge to puke. I have been a full blown indoor agoraphobe for 7 months. On good days I come out to our office and do my ONLINE schoolwork (thank god for online college, i'd be completely lost) but on bad days I lay in bed with my object of choice, a plastic bowl, incase I do puke.

in the beginning stages that bowl was with me everywhere I walked, until I started realizing that I really don't puke that often.
    So yeah, maybe that thought will help? I'm not too sure.

My whole anxiety is based around nausea.

My main symptom when I have a panic attack is extreme nausea, to the point where I can't even talk. I usually start gagging but i've never actually thrown up.

I don't like the idea of vomit.. .I never have, even before anxiety I can't stand to see or hear someone vomiting, so it's tough.

In general I am pretty much nauseas all day though, it's just become a part of me for about two years, I have to force all my food down while gagging. It gets horrible during a panic attack though... all the mints, ginger etc. in the world won't help me.

Yeah my anxiety is pretty bad when it comes to going to public places, especially school. I don't eat before classes because of so scared of getting sick. But because I'm in school for so long my stomach really starts to hurt and I get nauseous anyway. Another part of my anxiety is that I really have to go number 2. But because I am afraid of public restrooms, I have to wait till I get home. Thus I am left nauseous, bloated, and in pain. I have dropped many classes because I can't stand bieng in school for so long. The most I have been able to handle is two classes a semester. I just don't know what to do anymore, the only thing that seems to help me is video games. When I am playing them I don't feel sick, but I still get alot of crap from my family and girlfriend because I play so much. No one seems to understand me and that makes me depressed. Anyone know what I should do???

That's basically exactly what I have. (Though I do have a few other mental problems added on top of that.)

Typically, the best way I've found to cope is to always carry a bottle of water with me - sipping it helps me feel a little calmer, if only for a while, - and also sleeping with a bowl or similar container beneath my bed in case I wake up and vomit.

My anxiety's getting to the point where I can't board buses or places where I know I can't run into a toilet or out of sight of everyone if I feel I need to be sick. The same rule applies for if I'm at a distance which I consider to be too far away.

It's a royal pain in the arse, because it's often the reason I leave early when I meet my friends - or the reason I stay up all night at sleepovers.

I sometimes wish there was a medication that was a kind of quick-fix for this fear and related anxiety; the closest thing I've found are Rennies, but just like any medicine they're probably dangerous if you take too many. I can't distinguish whether it's my anxiety making me feel sick or genuine illness anymore so I've forced myself to stop taking them and stick to water now.
    [size=7]"For a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic."[/size]

I have a similar fear. When I was young, I had some very unpleasant and embarrassing experiences that involved me vomiting. I have spent most of my life avoiding it. I actually think this is more common than most people think. As a child, I used to get motion sick very often...in the car...on kiddie rides at carnivals. I really thought it was normal to avoid doing those types of things that make you miserably ill. That is why I have avoided long car rides unless I am driving, any type of ride that goes up-down-round and round. I stay away from boats on the ocean because I discovered that I get sea-sick as well. As I got older, I did find that I got unreasonably scared of it. If I got even a little naseous, I would do everything in my power to not vomit. Even when I knew I should throw-up to feel better, I would fight it all the way. I have vomited once in the past 15 years and it was so difficult, that I cried from the experience as well as busting blood-vessels under my eyes which made things even worse and more traumatic.

I guess I am glad that I am not the only one that has a fear of it.

Quote Originally Posted by KillingTime
    I don't like the idea of vomit.. .I never have, even before anxiety I can't stand to see or hear someone vomiting, so it's tough.
    Vomit's not nice, it's usually the body's way of trying to get rid of something poisonous to it. But in saying that, vomiting is a healthy thing to do because it gets rid of the toxins.

I was a TERRIBLE sympathetic spewer when I was younger. When cousins were carsick I had my head out the window choking back my own even if I caught the faintest whiff of it. Even if I saw babies chuck part of their just-finished meal up I gagged and had to leave the room.

These days I'm not so bad with the sympathetic thing, but I do feel nauseous as a result of stress or hunger (in the mornings I have a 90 second window between being hungry and wanting to chuck). It's just something you deal with and work around - I try to eat something as soon as I get up to keep the stomach happy. Mints are a damn good solution to nausea as well so keep them handy.

Im totally with you all on this.

Ive always had this fear since I was little. From about 1998 onwards and I was working I felt ill, but I realised it was a 4 flight of stairs run to the staff loos, and 6 floors in my next job (I also got a stomach bug while working there in 2002, the girl I worked with got sick at exactly the same time, although luckily we were at home!), and when I got pregnant in 2003 the morning sickness hit and I ended up quitting my job due to that and depression..
    ..Then throughout my pregnancy I didnt really leave the house because I felt so sick with the morning sickness, and I was afraid I would catch something and get sick, but most of all the possibilty that it would harm baby, the one thing I had left of my bf (who was killed 6 weeks into my pregnancy), then when our son was born I felt I needed to protect him from the outside bugs etc, so didnt really go out.

Later on I met my now fiance (who is a great Dad to my son, has been understanding etc.. ) but I had my first real panic attack whilst in a cinema, I felt sick, along with my other usual period symptoms.. I felt trapped, it was a while away to the loos and the panic just kicked in.

I also feel sick with the anxiety, I feel sick I dont wanna go out, I dont go out it gets worse for the next time.. but if I push myself while still feeling sick I panic - thus making it worse the next time I go out anyway!!!! I cant win!

But I do have a question, does anyone feel sick in their throat, like they heave at the thought of just going out etc?? I ask because about 4 months ago I kinda of managed to push aside the nausea, but now I heave a lot, like its going to take something minor to be physically sick

N.

Quote Originally Posted by random
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingTime
    Vomit's not nice, it's usually the body's way of trying to get rid of something poisonous to it. But in saying that, vomiting is a healthy thing to do because it gets rid of the toxins.

I was a TERRIBLE sympathetic spewer when I was younger. When cousins were carsick I had my head out the window choking back my own even if I caught the faintest whiff of it. Even if I saw babies chuck part of their just-finished meal up I gagged and had to leave the room.

These days I'm not so bad with the sympathetic thing, but I do feel nauseous as a result of stress or hunger (in the mornings I have a 90 second window between being hungry and wanting to chuck). It's just something you deal with and work around - I try to eat something as soon as I get up to keep the stomach happy. Mints are a damn good solution to nausea as well so keep them handy.
    I had to laugh at this (which is kinda nice cos I feel so miserable right now!!), but I also have a 90 second window of being hungry and feeling sick!! Its like I realise Im hungry, then seconds later Im feeling faint and nauseous!

I also agree with the other stuff you wrote, if I smell V, hear it or see it, I instantly feel sick too. Ive had a few stays in hospital since Feb, what a nightmare, the germs and hearing ppl be sick etc, thats truely awful.. plus I was sick whilst there too (maybe nerves?), but thank god I had my own side room with a loo, Id only been in it 10mins or so before I got sick.. but I soon got moved from the room, which mad me anxious because I was no longer near the loo.

I was terrible when my fiance caught a stomach bug, we slept in separate rooms, I made him stay in the room during the day away from me and my son, I was burning eucalyptus oil (an antibacterial type oil.. like it would do anything anyway) like there was no tomorrow, dettoling door handles and I opened just about every room in the house so to get the germs out, we were all freezing!

Oh the joys..

Jitters I have that same fear of food poisoning!!
    It can limit your diet vastly.. i just decide that if i am going to take what I feel is a risk i generally order the same as someone else im with just so atleast I know we will oth get it and it wont be me completely freeking out thinking my body has just decided to explode lol....

duncan,

I fear the same. I fear that i will be ill when outside my house and feel nausea most of the time. I am worried that i will be ill so i refuse to eat or drink when at work and go to as little places as possible. I have to carry a carrier bag in my pocket as a safety precaution and wont go anywhere without it. I thought this was only me suffering.

sparkey