Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

I've recently developed severe anxiety a couple months ago. I was having panick attacks constantly that would send my heart rate up to 200 bpm and I would feel like I was about to die. Now, I've mostly overcome my fear of panick attacks and I now have one only about once or twice a week. I'm not taking any medications and have learned to mostly relax. The problem is that I always worry about something going wrong in my body and I always think that I'm going to die of some disease or of heart problems. Hopefully I can learn to stop this negative thinking and worrying with the help of this forum.

-Cody

Oh my god Cody, your situation is almost the same as mine. I have been having panic attacks for two years now, BUT I got sick a few days ago and forced my body is fighting off the sickness AND deal with my nerves. And the worse I felt, the more I panicked. I got so scared that my heart was just going to explode in my chest so I ended up going to the ER.

But this morning I went to go see my therapist and told him what happened. (I haven't seen him in about 4-5 months because I was doing really well) and he gave me a list of things for me to read when I start to obsess about how my body is feeling. So I thought I'd type it out for you and it might help.

SELF STATEMENTS ABOUT MY BODY

1. It is normal for any body to flucuate in how it feels.

2. I can bring myself to a healthy range in weight through dieting and excercise.

3. My body is STRONG and naturally wants to keep me in good health.

4. My body is my allie, my body is my partner in helping me fulfill my goals in life.

5. I can have a mostly healthy life-style without putting pressure on myself to be perfect.

6. Changes I make to my physical condition will be gradual and gentle.

7. I will be patient with myself as my body changes, or patient with the changes I'm making to my condition.

8. I can trust myself to still be okay, in generally good health, even if something physical is temporarily acting unusual.

9. I will not worry about my body's functioning unless the symptom causes severe pain or I'm in discomfort for a long time.

10. I CANNOT DIE OR SIGNIFICANTLY IMPAIR MY HEALTH BY BEING ANXIOUS.

Well that's what me and my therapist dude worked on today, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Thank you for posting those statements. They seem very helpful! Those kinds of statements are something that I need to work on as well!

Yeah sometimes I think a panic attack won't be as bad as it has to be, if we can stop that "Oh my god, it feels like I'm dying" feeling. Because we're really just panicking a little bit, but we get stuck in our minds that we think something MORE is going on or we're just going to keel over and die just because that feeling is so miserable. I'm still working on that myself, but I want to say that we WILL be okay. This won't stop us!