PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety when I wake and what to do about it

ez86
03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that I feel very anxious when I wake up in the morning. Almost every morning I just don't feel "right." I end up throwing up or dry heaving almost every morning. Usually, I can force myself out of bed and off to work, and sometimes I feel better in an hour or so.

Regardless of the day, I work hard to practice acceptance through it all. I accept the physical feelings as being there and as something I have no control over.

Does anyone have any experience with this? At first I thought it was due to dreams I a may or may not remember when I wake. Other times I think it is anxiety over having to take on an entire day. Could this be blood sugar related? I'm not a diabetic, but I'm wondering if there is a way to lessen this feeling when I wake.

As I mentioned in another thread, I started taking Paxil about a week ago. Possibly it will help ease my mornings, but I would still like to develop tools and techniques to deal with this on my own (I don't want to rely on Paxil forever). I considered taking a benzo this morning, but I also do not want to rely on those. If things get really bad, I know it is there, but still.....

I hate that I use to be able to lay in bed on a weekend morning for an hour or three and just be. Day dream, fall asleep again, hang out. I'd love to get that back.

Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated. I hope you all are enjoying your Sundays!

ladywillow
03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi ez! I'm the same way. I wake up every morning shaking, anxious, churning tummy and on the verge of an attack. It's frustrating, eh?! I usually feel better an hour or so after I wake up.

Someone on here said once (and I can't remember who, sorry) that its probably because your cortisol levels are highest in the morning. Cortisol = adrenaline.

Have you had your blood sugar tested? If you have, and they are normal, it is unlikely it is due to your blood sugars. Your liver secretes glucose during the night while you are asleep to keep your sugars normal. It is actually quite common for diabetics to have their sugars high in the morning. It's called the 'dawn phenomenon".

I usually just get up in the morning. I figure there is no point in laying there and feeling miserable about laying there. I usually get up, go to the couch and try to read a book on those days. It takes my mind off the crumby feelings.

I hope this helps :)

ez86
03-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks, it always helps to feel less alone in my struggles. Today I got up, started surfing the net, and had some water and a granola bar which picked me up a bit.

ladywillow
03-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm sitting on my couch surfin' too :) Keeping your mind occupied really helps. And I agree, knowing you are not alone in this makes it easier to bare! :)

jeremyfresno
03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Ez86

yes your cortisol levels are always highest in the morning therefore you get morning anxiety. I use to get morning anxiety really bad just like you!!

I still get morning anxiety but not as bad as before. Try drinking some tea before bed so you sleep less tense at night and wake up less tense...my morning anxiety just left on its own after i eliminated most of my stresses...

Hang in there

Chiliphil1
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, that is correct, the cortisol levels are highest in the morning, the reason is because your body is waking itself up and naturally gives itself a shot of adrenaline to get moving, it generally subsides within an hour. I noticed that taking my ad at night before bed helps me alot with the morning issues.

anxigone123
03-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes I feel this all of the time but do not fear. It gets better! As your anxiety gets better this feeling of not feeling "right" will go away. I used to have this all of the time. Try meditating in the morning for 10 to 20 minutes taking slow deep breathes and putting your mind in a happy place. It really worked for me!!

ez86
03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone! I am drinking some chamomile tea before bed as I type :)