PDA

View Full Version : Just started Paxil, wondering if anyone has helpful tips on what to expect

ez86
03-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, but instead of boring you all with my story I figured I would get straight to a specific post.

After a few months of dealing with bad anxiety and some OCD type thoughts that eventually led to a major depressive episode, I made the decision to try out medication. Never in the past had I thought medication would be something for me, but I became desperate to start getting better and feeling better.

I requested a psychiatrist appointment when I felt like I was at the end of my rope. The only problem is that no one could see me for about 6 weeks. After a few more days, I got desperate and went to see my general doctor and she prescribed me 10 mg of paxil once a day and 5 mg of Clonazepam up to twice a day.

I tried not taking the Clonazepam because it was later suggested to be to only use it as needed and I had been having a good week. Thursday night I could not sleep at all, likely due to the paxil. I felt so sick and out of it in the morning that I had to call in sick to work. I took a clonazepam that morning, but I still couldn't all asleep. All that would happen is I would lie in bed and eventually have an anxiety attack and just get up.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance, suggestions, or stories about paxil. My general doctor still hasn't called me back (20 hours later) despite the fact I called twice. I know insomnia is a possible side effect, but I'm not sure how serious it is that I'm having it only 5 days into taking the drug. I still have until April 4th to see the psychiatrist, so anything in the meanwhile would be much appreciated.

I'm excited to be part of this forum and look forward to learning and making friends during our path to recovery!

ladywillow
03-24-2012, 04:08 PM
hi ez! Welcome!

I havent taken paxil personally, but most ADs have side effects that last a few weeks before they get better. that may be what you are going through. also, talk to your pharmacist about it. they may have some suggestions for you. :) Hope this helps! :)

alankay
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
EZ, stick with the paxil. It's side effects will subside and it will help you. I speak from experience.:) Alankay

ez86
03-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks everyone, the encouragement is much appreciated!!!! I did call my pharmacist, but he wasn't much help. Taking the benzo at night helps, so I'll make sure I keep doing that.

I also looked into a forum called "paxilprogress" .... but apparently everyone on there thinks paxil is the devil. Probably not the best place to go for encouragement and advice lol.

Enjoy your Saturday!

lady-d73
03-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I have been on Paxil for 3 weeks now. The side effects do go away after the 2nd week. Hang in there.

ladywillow
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry your pharm was crappy. what time do you take your meds? changing the time you take them (with doctor/pharm approval, that is) can make a world of difference. I have to take mine in the morning or else I am a zombie during the day and then can't sleep at night!

ez86
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM
I've been taking Paxil early in the morning, hopefully the sleepless nights will subside.

alankay
03-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Don't buy into the paxil fear mongering. Those bad stories are mostly from abrupt discontinuation of a very high dose.......which is stupid. Alankay

ladywillow
03-24-2012, 07:20 PM
So True Alankay!

biceps72
03-24-2012, 09:41 PM
paxil was the first medication I tried 17 years ago. I have GAD and it helped but I was anorgasmic the total time I took it. My wife didn't complain but I could not ejaculate nomatter what I tried!!! I quit because of this side only. BTW I actually lost weight on Paxil; I was working out hard at this time and my body fat was pretty low so when I lost 12 lbs it was muscle mass. I upped my protein and good fat amount and regained all my strength and muscle mass,

I know that paxil works well for some people but with all medications "your mileage may vary!"

momof31977
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Biceps, I had the same side effect. But the med did help me. I too stopped it though.

ez86
03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Biceps, I had the same side effect. But the med did help me. I too stopped it though.

Did you guys switch to another med that had less side effects or go off meds all together? Just curious.

03-25-2012, 11:58 AM
I took Paxil for over 5 years. It really helped me alot. The last year on it I started getting chest pain(I have no heart issues) so my Dr. took me off it and put me on Wellbutrin.

jeremyfresno
03-31-2012, 12:22 AM
I just started my paxil today!! Any advice or effects that I may be getting??

Gman777
04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Paxil is amazing for anxiety and panic. I took 20mg for many years. It cured my agoraphobia, panic, etc... and made me feel happy and positive.

Downsides: I gained 20lbs on it. When you stop taking it you will have to do it very slow to minimize withdrawl symthoms which can be difficult (irritability, nausea, brain zaps, sensitivity to noise and light). The one that bothered me the most was the weight. Oh, and another one is inability to have an orgasm. Well, you will be able to but it will take a long time. That may be good or bad, I guess.

birdman1978
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I just started taking Paxil a week ago, and since taking it I have gone with absolutely NO SLEEP....none. Seems like Im lying there wide awake, my mind just wont shut down? I was wondering if this is normal or what? It is frightening to think that your not going to sleep again:) I'm going to keep trying it out and see if things get better.

lady-d73
05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Are you taking it in the morning or at night?

birdman1978
05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
In the morning.

rumormill
05-14-2012, 01:38 AM
I was on Paxil and tried ripping out my hair and cutting. I literally went crazy. My mom dragged me to the doctor a few days later and I switched to Lexapro. That worked for a few years, but I think I grew immune to it. I am now on Pristique.