PDA

View Full Version : Weed, Anxiety/Panic Attacks, Help & Advice please

liambish
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me here. I have had a horrible time recently.I will try explain this , this might be a bit long and detailed....

After smoking weed/skunk for about 4 years, one joint every couple of days, as well as drinking heavily and working loads, and maybe just enjoying life a little too much, There was no problems.Then out of nowhere, in November 2011, after smoking a joint ( in amsterdam , I was at a music festival). I got this horrible feeling, of a sore head, disoriented, unable to talk or concentrate on anything. I had a cold feeling all over, and tingling/numbness/weirdness in my arms and fingers. I basically thought I was going to die, or go crazy. I presume these were the symptoms of a panic attack? My legs felt funny and I was dizzy etc.After about an hour, I felt normal, and thought , it must have just been some strong stuff or something totally different.Once it wore off I thought nothing of it and tried to go back to normal.
Then after smoking a joint on the 10th November 2011, the same feelings came back, so intense this time, like totally freaked me out , same physical symptoms, and I suppose after looking up online this was another panic attack.
For about 10 days after this episode, I couldn’t sleep and was having worrying thoughts about everything, scared that I was dying , or going mad etc etc. I didn’t know about panic attacks before this, so thought that I was going to have a fit or stroke etc.So for a few weeks after this 2nd attack , I DECIDED THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING WRONG & THAT I WAS GOING TO STOP SMOKING CANNABIS.
Over the next few weeks, I had a couple of instances of the tingling feeling creeping in, and the weird cold feeling in my hand/arm. But nothing as intense as the 2 big attacks. And started feeling better physically.
Although I felt depressed kind of. Not myself, and not really interested indoing anything. I also decided to stop drinking as well as smoking both weed and cigarettes.
I HAVE HAD NO MAJOR PANIC ATTACKS RECENTLY, AND HAVE STOPPED SMOKING WEED ETC. FOR 4 MONTHS.
HOWEVER I STILL FEEL A BIT DIZZY, AND WOBBLY SOMETIMES, AND JUST A WEIRD FEELING. SO NOT SURE IF THIS IS ANXIETY/WITHDRAWAL OR A MORE SRIOUS ILLNESS ETC?
SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY ABOVE BASICALLY, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR ADVICE/THOUGHTS ON WHAT IS GOING ON HERE:

HAVE I DAMAGED MY MIND PERMANENTLY BECAUSE OF MY LIFESTYLE?
AM I EVER GOING TO GO BACK TO MY HAPPY CARE FREE SELF?
WILL I NOW SUFFER FROM ANXIETY PROBLEMS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE?
COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE A WITHDRAWAL EFFECT FROM STOPPING SMOKING CANNABIS AFTER SMOKING QUITE A BIT OVER FOUR YEARS?
IF SO WILL THIS WEAR OFF AND WILL MY BODY GET USED TO NOT SMOKING, AND RETURN TO A SENSE OF NORMALITY ONCE ALL THE BAD STUFF IS TOTALLY OUT OF MY SYSTEM?
I HAVE SEEN ON SOME PLACES THAT SHOW ANXIETY MAY HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY SMOKING, BUT MAY ALSO BE AGGRIVATED BY STOPPING AND ADJUSTING TO A SOBER LIFE.
If its not a withdrawel issue. Could this be a temporarty anxity condition and if I never smoke again , will I get better?

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR SIMILAR EXPERIENCE, ABOUT HOW LONG IT TOOK TO FEEL BETTER ETC. THIS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

Thanks, Liam

anxiousmess
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM
no, you probably haven't permanently damaged your mind!
yes, you will be able to be happy again
everybody suffers from anxiety!
yes, it could be withdrawal. i've had self induced panic attacks through smoking weed - i was smoking to help my anxiety - only it made it worse and so i took it as a cue to stop. well done for thinking like that also!
yes, your body will get used to not smoking and return to normality

you say your anxiety is getting better - you kind of answered your own question.

you are sending yourself into a frenzy of anxiety by thinking you have done serious damage to your mind by smoking cannabis!
stop thinking like that. accept that you are suffering a little bit of anxiety due to your recent smoking habit, but you will get over this and be able to function properly again!

when you feel anxious, just accept that everybody feels anxious from time to time. it's when it has an impact on your daily life that it becomes an issue :)