PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety at night.

libbiedoll
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi all, I'm new here and wanted to share some info so I could possibly get some feedback. I've had pretty bad anxiety all of my life. I took a low dose prescription of Zoloft for about two years when I was a teen. From what I can remember it helped a lot. My mom said it helped even out my moods. I stopped taking it when I was 18 and haven't taken anything since. Anyway, fast forward four years later, I'm 22 and a mother to two sweet boys. My life is pretty good, but I've noticed a drastic change in my anxiety within the last several months. I just had my second son almost six months ago, and with that came some extra stress. I specifically notice my anxiety jump in to hyper drive at night. It's always been worse at night, but it's to the point now where it's every single night. And on top of that, it's getting bad during the day too. I'm contemplating getting back on some medication, so long as it doesn't conflict with me nursing my son. I wanted to hear from anyone in a similar situation. I'm open to options of different things I could try, also. Thanks!

alankay
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd consider resuming zoloft. Safe for breastfeeding.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html#Zoloft

Anxiety could be worse at night since night is a time for anxious folk to worry/obsess/ruminate allot(mornings too). Typical. Happens to me after work when my mind is not preoccupied,. Alankay

03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Do you wake up several times during the night due to your anxiety or are you sleeping at all? I have been waking up several times at night with a panic attack. It's not fun what-so-ever. What has been helping me if deep muscle relaxation before bed and meditating.(you can find videos on youtube for both) Try those things and see if they help you.

03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I also think you might want to get back on Zoloft, but I wouldn't breastfeed on it.

momof31977
03-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm also nursing a 6 month old baby boy (baby #3). I too have always had a little social anxiety and then when my father died in 97 it got bad (bad) and I went on meds. Had it under control the past 8 years + and gradually am having a hard time with it again. I'm new to the stay at home thing, and this is my first time nursing as well. I think mine might be some ppd too. Mine starts to get bad in the late afternoon and evening too. My dr gave me a rx for celexa but I can't bring myself to take anything while nursing. it's tough to run a family while having an anxiety attack when it takes everything out of you, that's for sure!

libbiedoll
03-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I definitely am going to see a psychiatrist about possibly getting a prescription. I'll have to really look in to which one go take (if any at all) before I'll take it while I nurse though.

I do wake up sometimes at night. Depends on how stresses I am. I also tend to have bad neck and shoulder pain that seems to coincide with my anxiousness.

To "momof3" I definitely think it could be that you just have so much going on. I, too, have thought I might possibly have some PPD. I had it with my first son, but it wasn't too bad. I've been through some huge changes in the last year, and I think it all catching up to me and causing my anxiety to resume. I really hope I can get some insight to it. I hate feeling this way with my kids. I just want to be happy and fun with them.