PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Symptoms the Definitive List

jitters
01-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi,

Having read a number of posts by new comers asking whether certian symptoms could be down to anxiety, I thought it might be good to get posters to list the different symptoms suffered by themseleves and others so read my list and let me know if any do or dont ring a bell and let me know if I have missed any.

Body

* Burning Sensations throughout the body
* Chronic Fatigue
* Electric shock feeling
* Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax.
* Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
* Feeling cold or chilled
* Hyperactivity, excess energy
* Increased or decreased sex drive
* Muscle twitching
* Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
* Numbness or tingling in hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
* Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
* Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
* Startle easily
* Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
* The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
* Trembling or shaking
* Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
* Warm spells
* Weak legs, arms, or muscles

Chest

* Chest pain or discomfort
* Concern about the heart
* Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
* Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
* Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
* Heart – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat, palpitations
* Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough

Emotions

* Dramatic mood swings
* Emotional blunting
* Emotions feel wrong
* Frequently feel like crying for no reason

Fears

* A heightened fear of what people think of you
* Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
* Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
* Fear of being in public
* Fear of dying
* Fear of losing control
* Fear of impending doom
* Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
* Fear that you are losing your mind
* Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
* Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
* Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
* Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
* Need to seat near exits

Head

* Dizziness or light-headedness
* Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
* Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
* Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
* Giddiness
* Shooting pains in the face
* Shooting pains in the scalp or head
* When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
* Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache

Hearing

* Frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
* Low rumbling sounds
* Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head

Mind

* Desensitization, depersonalization
* Fear of going crazy
* Fear of losing control
* Fear of impending doom
* Feelings of unreality
* Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
* Having difficulty concentrating
* Obsession about sensations or getting better
* Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
* Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
* You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders

Mood

* Always feeling angry and lack of patience
* Depression
* Feeling down in the dumps
* Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike
* Frequently being on edge or 'grouchy'
* Frequently feel like crying for no apparent reason
* Have no feelings about things you used to
* Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
* You feel like you are under pressure all the time

Mouth/Stomach

* A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
* Choking
* Constant craving for sugar or sweets
* Constipation
* Diarrhea
* Difficulty swallowing
* Dry mouth
* Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat
* Feeling like your tongue is swollen
* Frequent upset stomach, bloating, gaseous
* IBS
* Lack of appetite or taste
* Nausea or abdominal stress
* The thought of eating makes you nauseous
* Tight throat, lump in throat
* Vomiting

Sleep

* Difficulty falling or staying asleep
* Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams
* Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake
* Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
* Jolting awake
* Waking up in a panic attack
* You feel worse in the mornings

Sight

* Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
* Dry, watery or itchy eyes
* Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes
* Eyes sensitive to light
* Spots in the vision
* Flashing lights when eyes are closed
* Your depth perception feels wrong

Touch

* Numbness
* Pain
* Tingling, pins and needles feelings

Other symptoms are described as:
Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:
• Having a heart attack
• Having a serious undetected illness
• Dying prematurely
• Going insane or losing your mind
• Harming yourself or someone you love uncontrollably
• Being embarrassed or making a fool out or yourself
• Losing control
• Fainting in public
• Not breathing properly
• Choking or suffocating
• Being alone

Worriers of the world unite!

Duncan

:D

amarkb
01-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Wow, that is comprehesive!

I can't think of anything to add but have had so many of those at some time.

Great idea.

Adam

scatmantom
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM
wow, u seem to have everything there, ill have a good think and see if i can add anything 8)

johnnynumber5
01-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I wish I had that list when I initially was getting the anxious feelings. TMJ is an addition. My back always needs to be cracked, listening issues, I have been in a conversation and not know it until the third party ways "right?" That list in fairness I have hit 95% of symptoms and I wish it could end.

But I will add that once your symptoms stop - the reason I spin back ino them is that I feel something is wierd or oo good and ... look for symptoms and whoop, there back. self induced!!!!

I even at some time thought maybe I can gte wealthy just so I can hire a full time doctor to ensure my health. This all stemed from not me being ill.. but a very close person had a heart attack and the threat of losing that person spun me into a threat of me dying?? anyone else get in this situation because of someone close's mishap?

NoPinkPanther
01-06-2007, 02:25 AM
[quote="jitters"]Hi,

Having read a number of posts by new comers asking whether certian symptoms could be down to anxiety, I thought it might be good to get posters to list the different symptoms suffered by themseleves and others so read my list and let me know if any do or dont ring a bell and let me know if I have missed any.

Hello!
The only thing I would add is hiccupping more often than usual to try to catch your breath.
AC

jitters
01-06-2007, 04:23 AM
thanks for the replies keep them coming

Haley
01-08-2007, 06:46 AM
but a very close person had a heart attack and the threat of losing that person spun me into a threat of me dying?? anyone else get in this situation because of someone close's mishap?

I have. But i actually had someone die from the heart attack. SO thats what I worry about too.

NoPinkPanther
01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh, I know exactly what you mean about the real possibility of having someone die from a heart attack!

I have often worried (surprise, surprise) about the fact that doctors are training me and my family to view EVERYTHING as an anxiety attack. One night when I was trying to go to sleep, my left arm went numb, my tongue and lips were numb, my heart was racing and I felt palpitations, and I was SO scared I was having a heart attack. I went online and looked up the symptoms of a heart attack, and many of them were exactly what I was feeling. Then I went online and looked up the symptoms of anxiety attacks, and guess what? Mostly identical.

I wasn't having a heart attack that night, but if I were, no one would have taken me to the hospital. They would have patted me and said, "Oh, you're just having an anxiety attack again. Let's do some yoga or listen to some relaxing music."

In a way, I feel like if I ever tell doctors that I've had anxiety attacks before, they may not take a real health situation as seriously as it should be taken. And how do I know when I really need emergency help or when its an anxiety attack?

You may laugh at this.. but I have been carried away in an ambulance two or three times from a MOVIE THEATER because I was trying to watch the same movie. All 3 times ended in the same result... I was unable to breathe or even move and ended up doubled over on the floor gasping for air. It was a COMEDY movie, Steve Martin in Pink Panther, for crying out loud. Hence my screen name in this forum - "No Pink Panther." Two of those times, it was an anxieyt attack. The symptoms resolved by the time I was in the hospital. But one of the times, my heart had actually gone into SVT (Super Ventricular Tachycardia). The 3 trips felt identical to me.

Hmmm.

johnnynumber5
01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
That is what the biggest fear is always to me and I am sure many. We have these real symptoms of actual life threatening situations, and are always brushed off.. and in fairness if I was a doctor I would be "here we go again". But what if something has happened.. How will I be able to tell. I have made myself stay away from the hospital now and won't go. I am too embarrassed as I know people there and they will know I am just freaking out... or maybe am sick, but not sick enough to be in emergency.

So as stated - If one day I do have a heart attack - or stroke.. or whatever.. are the symptoms more dramatic?? That if so it will force me to the emerg? That is what sends me over the edge, starts as chest pain or whatever is the disease of the month... and I think "what if it is real"?

I get brushed off as I am young guy, ... I just hope we are all healthy and can get these thoughts out of our head.

jitters
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Tis the nature of the beast people. :twisted:

We just have to try and accept that if it were a real problem, chances it wouldn't mimick the exact symptoms we have when we have an attack. And try hard as it may be to trust the medical profession their usually pretty well trained.

I hate thoughts like these they make me feel crazy.

jitters
01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Wow this post has been viewed A LOT! I feel so proud. :D

Duncan

jitters
01-25-2007, 02:14 AM
A lot of newcomers have been asking aheter their sympotoms could be down to anxiety so I thought I'd post this and put this thread back up to the top again.