PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine

Jeordie
01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm wondering if caffeine isn't a relevant part of my problems.

We know caffeine makes people more anxious, tense, stressed, overreactive. We use it to wake up when we're sleepy. I actually feel it relaxes me. At first.
If I get one single coffee, or cappuccino, I feel it does me well. But a couple of days ago I got a coffee and a cappuccino, and I felt extremely agitated the whole day.

So I've been thinking about the coffee/stress relationship. If two doses make me feel that bad, what happens when I get just one coffee, which I do almost daily thinking it does no harm?

I am anxious. I have a long list of symtoms that make me feel ill. I would like to get rid of them. So let's see. There were times during the last four years (since I started having generalized anxiety) in which I got no coffee and guess what - I felt better! Anxiety was almost gone. I was doing more with my life, I was happier, relaxed. And when it wasn't like that? I'm thinking, this is when I got more coffee! It was when I worked at a Starbucks and I was drinking coffee regularly that I started feeling dizzy and faint. And then, I feel shitty in this period, and I'm having my regular daily cappuccino.
This year I had one or two weeks in which I felt much better - and I know I didn't get any coffee those days, because I wasn't at home and I changed my habits temporarely.
I don't know why I'm thinking about this just now. Maybe 'cause I'm really addicted to my cappuccino and I just didn't think one a day could do me any harm.

So, does any of you have experience with this? Do you think I would better cut any caffeine, looking at the data here exposed?

Thanks!

jitters
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I suffer with anxiety and I too love coffee and tea theres only one solution which after some experimentation with different brands worked for me say it with me "DeCaff" just try the decaffinated version of your favorite bevarage. Don't keep drinking caffine it really doesn't help.

Duncan

Jeordie
01-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Apparently decaffeinated coffee contains caffeine too, just less. Maybe that dose would be enough to stimulate anxiety in me, maybe not. I'll do my experimentation. But I was thinking of getting completely rid of it. I believe this will make me feel much better, and I'll find a substitute for my beloved cappuccino. Although this is a painful decision.

Thanks for your reply.

jitters
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Decaff Coffee does contain caffine but less than that of say cocoa so its a pretty massive change in intake from that usual cappa. Below is a breskdown of amouts per standard size.

8-ounce Beverage milligrams of caffine
Coffee, Drip 115-175
Coffee, Brewed 80-135
Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces) 100
Coffee, Instant 65-100
Tea, iced 47
Tea, brewed, imported brands (avg.) 60
Tea, brewed, U.S. brands (avg.) 40
Tea, instant 30
Tea, green 15
Hot cocoa 14
Coffee, Decaf, brewed 3-4
Coffee, Decaf, instant 2-3

But if you wish to give up caffine absolutly fruit juice and mineral water water ought to do it.

Thanks for the reply

Duncan :shock:

Jeordie
01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Heh. Thanks dude. I'll experiment with the decaf, it sounds so not caffeinated.
The funny thing is that I just ordered a cappuccino machine, before realizing coffee does me harm, so I'll guess I'll use that just for my decaf experiment.

scatmantom
01-04-2007, 06:02 PM
i cant drink coffee, it makes me go so crazy. I have such bad anxiety, the worst drink for me is Redbull tho, really terrible stuff gives me such problems, so if u have trouble with coffee i would avoid redbull at all costs!!!!!! :lol:

jitters
01-05-2007, 05:06 AM
Your not kidding Contains 80 mg caffeine per can (8.3 oz) that about the same as a strong coffee.

TheBlueDanube
01-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I worked at a Starbucks and I was drinking coffee regularly that I started feeling dizzy and faint.

I had this same problem. I cut out all caffine for a while now I drink green tea and won't have more than one cup of coffee a day. As long as I watch my intake I am fine. I also only drink it at night so the extra anxiety doesn't drive me crazy.

Jeordie
01-05-2007, 08:50 AM
You drink it at night?? And you can sleep with that??

jitters
01-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I love your signature Jeordie.

Jeordie
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Guess what, I like yours. I did a research on that director yesterday, I haven't heard of him before.

jitters
01-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Too be honest I dont know whether the quote is just att. to him after the fact. I'm sure someone else must of also said it only differently.

But nice to be introducing people to japanese cinema.

Duncan

TheBlueDanube
01-05-2007, 09:23 AM
You drink it at night?? And you can sleep with that??
Yes, caffine makes me tired instead of awake or perhapse I crash faster than normal? As soon as I drink it I start yawning. :lol:

Jeordie
01-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, good for you. That's unusual.
Actually, coffee makes me sleepy as well, but just for half an hour or so. After which, I find myself agitated. So it has a short term advantage, and a long term shitty result.

jitters
01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Caffine makes me wanna poop. :(