PDA

View Full Version : I'm new.. and.. I have some questions

Music_lover
01-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Well I don't know what to say.I had these attacks for along time. I had 2 in fornt of my mom and she didn't know what was going on. I'm not even sure what is going on with me. I'm 15 and I have had this for a few years. It scares me vry badly. I lose touch with reality I guess, I'm afraid I "won't come back". I thought I was crazy. I don't always get them when i'm alone or in a small place. I can get it anytime and it scares me. Please someone, I want to feel normal again, I don't know who to talk to about this, I would really love some help. Sorry if I'm doing this wrong.

V for Victor
01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey,

You're not crazy. Actually, what you're describing is not all that uncommon. Anxiety/Depression usually shows up in the early teens, and of course it can be very scary, especially at the age when you're already confused enough the way it is!! (Speaking from experience.)

I totally get where you're coming from, if by attacks, you're referring to anxiety attacks. I've had my share, especially when I developed a terrible phobia of thunderstorms. I, too, had several attacks infront of my family, and they didn't know what on earth was going on. They just thought I was overreacting. And they were right, because I WAS losing contact with reality, and overstating the dangers of a perfectly normal occurence in nature.

That's what you have to remember: In your panic attacks, you ARE overstating the dangers of whatever it is you're afraid of. You have to rely on the logical side of your brain to get through the attack, by saying, "Just because it FEELS like I'm in danger, doesn't mean I AM in danger. It's a false message from my brain."

In the end, the best advice anybody can give you is to talk to a doctor about your problems.

Also, you might check out the book Brainlock, by Jeffrey M. Schwartz. It has helped me immensely. Though it is intended for those with OCD, the cognitive-behavioral steps it teaches are very useful for controlling regular anxiety.

You'll get through it! :)