PDA

View Full Version : Physical Anxiety Symptoms keep coming back with med increases - Please Help!

jennyd30
03-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I need some advice - I am getting really worried. I am 30 years old, have suffered from anxiety since I was 18, and became increasingly worse as I got older.
One year ago I started seeing a psychiatrist to help me manage the anxiety as I was starting to lose control. We initially discussed meds - I pushed it off and said let’s try therapy first, therapy worked but not enough.

In early January I started to suffer from some physical anxiety symptoms that pushed me to my breaking point - sore joints, arm, neck, back muscles. I had convinced myself that I had an auto immune disorder or worse. My psychiatrist decided that meds were likely my only option to bring the anxiety under control. He felt that my physical symptoms were related to the anxiety, my GP also felt that it might be also but she obliged when I pushed for a full blood profile.

I started taking Cipralex (lexapro in the USA and UK) the 10 mg does worked for about a week, and then it started to lose its affect. I was feeling foggy and less focused and my Psychiatrist increased the dosage to 20 mg and again it worked for 1 week. I had started to feel a little foggy again as the 20 mg does wasn't working and there was discussion about adding Abilify or Wellbutrin to my meds in very low doses. I again pushed my Psychiatrist off and said, “Can we try a few more weeks and see if I can keep my stress level down I can manage this?” This was on Wednesday - now I am full of joint and muscle pain again. I so desperately want to feel normal again.

Has anyone out there experienced something similar? What helped you? Was it anxiety related? Any help is much appreciated. I feel so alone right now. I haven’t told anyone outside my husband and immediate family what I am dealing with. It stresses me to really talk about this with them because I feel judged. Would really appreciate some support for others who know what it feels like. Thanks for your time to read my post. Jen