PDA

View Full Version : I was evaluated today

03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Went to hospital for psychiatric evaluation. I am now going to start intensive outpatient therapy 5 days a week from 9-3pm. I am also going to see if they can switch my medication. It was very stressful, but I feel I am making a positive step in getting better.

Meche
03-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Well done you - you've made a huge step and I bet you feel better for it. Good luck. xx

03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks girl! I'm trying real hard! :)

jessed03
03-08-2012, 05:34 PM
This was actually really ground breaking as I wrote on another thread for me. I think if this didn't happen, if I didn't go to outpatient, I'd be on the same med I was, and still a nervous wreck. It was absolutely vital to my healing. I was in an anxiety loop I couldn't break, and this helped me break it, and see something else. It's a pity I had to come close to attempting suicide, and get dragged to A+E, before it happened. But sometimes the patient needs the medicine, even if it's bitter.

There is no doubt that this is gonna be a positive step, and bring changes. You already have a great boyfriend, everybody on here like you, and wants to support you. With some more understanding and help, you'll be emailing me in 6 months, saying, 'You were right, I just cannot believe it, but I do feel so much different!' Just wait.

Keep letting us know how you get on, we always like to see peoples lives improving. Keep hanging in, moving forward little by little :)

03-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks Jessed! I am so happy I have support and have met wonderful people on here! I will definitely let you guys know how tomorrow goes. Could you tell me a bit about outpatient therapy Jess? What do they do? The guy mentioned group therapy and several other things.(art therapy, recreation therapy, etc)

jessed03
03-09-2012, 04:52 AM
In England, we have art therapy, which was just a chance to create something you want, spend some time drawing something, or painting. I found this suprisingly theraputic and enjoyable We also did a movement theapy, which was weird, but really good. Just movement based on how you feel and what you want to express. We did some relaxation therapies once a week, usually a guided tape. We did some group therapy. Some personal therapy. Talked with the doctor about medications and stuff. Had just time to unwind, talk, play games, play cards, eat snacks, smoke for the smokers.

It actually does a lot just distracting you from anxiety, and getting things off your chest. I think I never cried so many times within my first week lol. But everybody was so understanding of it. I finally had this place to let it all out, talk with people in a similar position, and it really needed expressing. They usually cycle it with some other stuff too. Sometimes somebody would give a talk on going back to your job. Other times we'd just do some light stretching. I think the whole process really agreed with me. I felt better on it pretty quickly really!

I hope your first day goes well :)

anxiousmess
03-09-2012, 07:55 AM
well done hun! that is brilliant news :) so pleased for you!
this out-patient thing sounds good too. it'll do you the world of good as it sounds quite enjoyable from what jessed has said :)

good luck! :)

PanicCured
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
What goes on with the outpatient thing? I never heard of this before. I never knew about this.

03-09-2012, 08:30 PM
What goes on with the outpatient thing? I never heard of this before. I never knew about this.

Well today we did group therapy all day and I was evaluated again. We did CBT, watched a video, learned about the brain, and learned about coping skills. I have heard that we also will do art therapy and recreational therapy some days. It was very nerve racking. I wanted to cry the whole time, but I know it will help me. It's basically intensive therapy for people who do not have to be admitted into the hospital. I am there from 9-3 daily and then I get to go home.

03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks! I was SUPER nervous today, but I'm sure I'll be less nervous Monday. Everybody seems nice.

PanicCured
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
What does something like this cost?